HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» NNGO Airship Amenities & Crew [Guild Level: 81]
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:15 am by Beth

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» How's life treating ya?
Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

» Post something awesome!
Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am by Minority01

» Totally legit US presidential poll
Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 am by Minority01

» Headset Survey
Tue May 16, 2017 4:54 am by Minority01

» The Music Thread!
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm by anto_capone

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

Healthy Living

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 am

I thought we could use a place where we could discuss positive changes in life, like diet changes, exercising, quitting habits, and share tips and all that.

For example...

Today I started a mixed martial arts class and realised I have no upper body strength whatsoever. I always had troubles with pushups but tonight made me realise, damn I'm weak...

So I've aimed to do at least 5 a day for a week and then gradually increase that number. I'll be knocking giants out in no time... I hope!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ikids
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am

Nice Smile

Lets see... Ive been getting dragged to the gym 3 days a week, been lifting mostly, some running. It's made me realize just how out of shape I have become lol Used to be an active in shape runner, then I came to college. So basically, if you don't want to gain weight and loose muscle, then stay away from college life Razz

Seriously though, been trying to eat less and get more exercise in. Start small and have other people do it with you so you have someone to answer to, youll be more likely to stick with it if others know you are doing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lance
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah my doctor scared the crap out of me last June when I had to get blood-work done for something else. Plus my family just has a history of heart disease, so I shifted my life around a lot last summer (part of the reason I just didn't have time for RK). Since then I've lost close to 50lbs and my numbers are all at least acceptable Razz.

I radically changed my eating habits, I used to eat out for a good 80% of my meals (not fast food, but still meals most places aren't all that heathy) and a ton of meat in my diet. Now I cook a lot more and originally started off on a juice diet for a month to clean out my system. Now I eat mostly raw foods too and cut back on meat. I usually eat a cup of oatmeal and an orange for breakfast, salad for lunch (todays was romain, cucumber, tomato, avacado, chick peas, and a bit of olive oil), then a small piece of meat and a side like a baked potato or some rice for dinner. When I do eat out, I try to work out first and make smarter decisions about what to eat. I also stopped drinking coffee and switched over to green tea. It supposedly helps your liver, which mine needs all the help it can get, and it seems to not make my caffeine hyper as much.

Also, when I started going to my current cardiologist, I gave him a shock when I told him that I didn't believe in taking pills for things if I can fix it naturally. I find that if doctors can't just prescribe you pills, they're kind of at a loss about how to actually treat people . . . but he's been good. Helped me with diet change and I take daily supplements, instead of taking blood pressure meds (currently taking fish oil, D3, a Super B Complex, Vitamin C, and a multivitamin every morning), I also throw a clove of garlic into something I eat daily . . . along with breath mints Razz.

Finally, I try to exercise daily. When it's warm out, I play a lot of disc golf and am in a couple of tag leagues (yeah I'm a hippy like that Razz), other then that I just suck it up and go to the gym, cardio 5-6 times a week on top of 4 days of lifting. I really hate going to the gym and it was a constant struggle to motivate myself to go for about 3 months, but now it's just part of my routine.

I've found a big part of losing weight was just cutting down on my drinking, I was still in college mode and downing a 24 pack a weekend, if not more Razz. Stopping that cut out a lot of calories and I completely stopped drinking for 3 months last year (which was absolute hell). It helped to lower my tolerance a lot and now if I do drink, I drink significantly less. Honestly, cutting back on that was probably the hardest part of changing around my lifestyle.

Sorry for the book, but I've become a nut about this stuff in the past 8ish months Laughing. Was a major shock to me when I first started it all and my motivation waxed and waned, but now it's all just second nature to me. If a lazy, hippie, drunkard like me can change things around, anyone can . . . sometimes you just have to be scared into it Very Happy.

Last edited by Lance68har on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 pm

food = medicine

Of course, the opposite is true {crap}food= poison

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Congratulations, Lance68hr, thats exactly the same situation I was finding myself into as well. I was scared into it as well, having close family cancer-riddled and lots of relatives kicking the bucket at 50+ from hypertension. Getting severe shingles was a big straw breaking the camels back for me (and anyone knows, shingles is caused by severe stress and low immune system after having chicken pox as a child). So like Lance, turned it around. I'm actually in the business of Nutritional Health, so he is spot-on for most of the things you can do without being crazy about yourself. I recommend you add on 100 mg of CoEnzyme Q10, the Ubiquinol version, really cheap at CostCo, too, lasts a while, great for heart and bone and blood. Watch out for Salmon Fish oil, its got a lot of impurities, might want to try Krill Oil, its not as messed up. I take a vegan type of Essential Fatty Acids, keeps that problem out of hand, though, but the Krill Oil is an easy thing to find in a local GNC or Vitamin World.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm heading to Lance's so he can start cooking for me Razz That is awesome btw Lance =)

I know what I SHOULD be doing, especially with being a nurse and all.. but I am finding nursing school is contraindicated to healthy lifestyle...
Way too much coffee, too much alcohol, too much stress, not enough sleep....
I never had high blood pressure before 3rd semester. It's always been fairly low, 110/70...there have been times it has been 135/85. I know it doesn't look high, but not great for me.

I am thinking of trying to hit the gym/exercise on my days off, and you would think the whole planning on moving to Hawaii thing would be motivation enough (I am SO not getting into a bikini the way I look) but, when it comes to me personally, I am very unmotivated.... think I need someone to yell at me every day to get my butt away from bed/computer/books and do shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazimi
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Don't eat fastfood, pizza, taco bell, mcdonalds,... and don't drink coca cole, fanta, energy drinks,...

Just eat bread and normal food and drink water. That's the best, no need for diets and such.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Just a heads up for anyone adding garlic to their diet - add parsley to your diet too. Not only is it a great source of chlorophyll, but it is a natural deodoriser - so no pongy garlic breath!

Since my health condition means that strenuous exercise is more likely to do me harm than good, I have had to take the slow but steady approach. I cook all of my own meals, have radically reduced the amount of carbs in my diet and have reduced on the amount of proteins I eat. I eat mostly vegetables now, partly because they are healthy and partly because they are cheap! On the days that I can move, I walk to town, or college or where ever, and on the days that I can't move, well nothing I can do about those days.

Doctors have said that my condition is incurable, but then doctors also said that thanks to my spine I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 28. Well doctors, still no wheelchair, and this incurable illness I have? Watch me beat that too!

(that last bit of bravado it put in their to lift my spirits too haha Very Happy)

oh, and a healthy food suggestion:

Romano peppers, tomatoes, vegetable stock and water - boil up together and when cooked blend in a blender - healthy, quick and tasty Very Happy

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Bard
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Wow, that's funny. I was just thinking about posting something about health... Bekah, you read my mind.

For those of you who are vegan, vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian (pescetarianism) like myself, check this out. This stuff is power, but is smells like a dirty fish tank. I like to pair it with organic whey after a work out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sephrenia
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 pm

My diet's changed a lot since I had my teeth done - less chewy sweets, crisps etc.. Stopped drinking so much fizzy juice too and fruit juice recently dropped a lot which cuts more sugar out. My appetite in general is down as well, and I seem to have developed a resistance to constantly eating all the things that are bad for me.

Mainly my diet has changed enough living with a vegetarian to be healthier, slowly but it's got there - I make a lot of soup (lentil and veg, add cinnamon and it's beautiful). Less ready meals, lots of yoghurt, and I just got into porridge and making fruit salads again Very Happy Lots of rice and vegetables which is yummy with the right seasoning and pretty filling. Decided I want more variety now though so looking into casseroles and stews and adding more meat back in my diet. I miss steak >.> and the gym - back to that from tomorrow, with swimming and getting back to my Pilates - that's really good for strengthening btw if you're looking for that Ahlia, and incredibly relaxing at the same time.

Not sure I could do without caffeine entirely, I find it helps me focus if I'm trying to do college work Laughing The coffee maker I got the bf for Christmas wouldn't help either.

Biggest change actually seems to be a change in my pill - boyfriend has noted that I've lost weight off my face in a timespan longer than the swelling from my ear infection going back down and that only started happening after that changed :/

Bekah - I love your determination Very Happy I had doctors telling me they didn't know if I was ever going to not have to walk with crutches and they didn't know why, but I *might* get to a stick, and I've been walking a year now with nothing Very Happy Still not allowed to run, physio isn't of the opinion that impact would be something everything is up to yet, but there are ways around that.

This was the last thing I made the bf, he seemed to quite like http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775642/indian-butternut-squash-curry It says it's healthy, I wouldn't know. I really don't like curry >.<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tadhg o' Cleirgh
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Sephrenia, try a pound of frozen peas with some a handful of finely chopped pan-roasted onion with a drizzle of olive oil, and blend with 6 leaves of fresh basil, blend it cold (yes, cold!), then add another 6 finely chopped basil leaves on top. It sounds simple, and cold soup, but damn, it was rather good indeed. Got it from an addition to a professional pizza handbook, and since I don't eat cheese, I just took what I liked out of that book, and there you go. Easy. Its not bad heated either.

I'm no vegetarian, but I'm trending to a lot closer to that way, still love my meats, just not the processed and red meats, thank you very much. Read a lot online and read a lot of books, and you all can find some truth in what you are eating. You don't need to be a nutritionist to stay healthier longer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm

I love pilates! It IS a great, low impact way to strength train. As they say- lift heavy things. Well...our bodies are pretty heavy! Makes for a great workout, one that you can do without equipment. Probably lots of pilates videos online.

I love steak too! I am making a conscious effort to buy/consume meat that is grass fed, hormone free and if at all possible--locally sourced. I know a group of like minded individuals who may be organizing to go in on buying whole cows. I know a woman at work who raises beef cattle. I would SO love to buy meat from her. Talk about knowing my source. I know her cattle are humanely raised and are grass fed (vitamin d ftw!). It has never been an option before because I simply don't have the freezer space to buy whole cows from a butcher. But if I go in on one with others, it is a possibility.

The cleanse I am on means no dairy. I used to drink my coffee creamed. Now that it isn't creamed, I drink far less of it. So this cleanse is also ridding me of my pesky caffeine addiction! The no dairy part of the elimination diet has been the most difficult part. There is dairy in everything! Salads, dressings, starchy sides, whatever. It is really interesting to notice how much extra junk is put in our foods. That and soy products. Holy hell, I think the American diet is subsidized by soy based products---most of which are not ideal. I remember reading several studies about how we consume too much soy, but can't remember the source and don't really care to look it up.

Basically my approach to food right now is this: locally sourced, in season whole foods that make me healthier. I just read a book that had the tidbit: "Food either makes you more healthy or less healthy. There is no food Switzerland." This has helped my approach, being as that I am a born and bred glutton. Laughing I will accept minimally processed food--but if it has a single ingredient that I can't pronounce or that I don't have in my cupboards, I ain't eating it!

There is a book that I keep meaning to buy, but I never do. It is called "Managing depression through exercise". Since I am too damned lazy to even buy the thing, I can't tell you what it says. I am betting it tells me to get off my ass. Razz I have that in common with Bella. Work, school, internships (in the healthcare field no less!)...I need someone to light a fire under my ass to workout cuz after THAT schedule, I don't wanna!! But I know it will give me more energy. Which I need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Yay!!! I'm not alone in my laziness Laughing

I should add, I do eat healthy 90% of the time. Only pop I drink is with rum. Don't eat chips or sweets really...the odd time I suppose. Rarely eat bread....only crave carbs once a month ...joys...

And my actual food issue is that I don't eat enough. I have no real appetite (never really have) and so I forget to eat.... I have the most fucked up metabolism ever. I know how strange that sounds, but I can literally, forget to eat all day. First night shift, I think I had a slice of loaf cake a nurse brought into share...because it dawned on me there that I hadn't eaten all day.

Anywho... I should finish this and get off my comp and do something today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:56 pm

I've recently had some reminders to be nice to my system. So, being on time with my b12 shots, no soda, no alcohol, no caffeine more than green tea, watching my fat intake closely (and that means no onion rings!), and cutting back on gluten when I'm in a rough spot. In general, I don't eat beef because it's inflammatory, and before I moved to where I am now I only ate "happy" meat i.e. organic, local, free-range, etc. Turns out that's a lot easier to do in Montana than Pennsylvania. At least where I am now.

Our wedding is in 29 days, so I've got to be good so I enjoy all that fancy food we've got planned!

I need a kick in the ass to get active again though. Hard to get moving when you feel like crap, but I always feel better after a walk with the dog or doing some sun salutations. It's like with my b12, it's a downward spiral when I don't do it, so I just need to remember how much better it makes me fee.

And some day I'll actually take all the supplements I'm supposed to. I just hit a max with pills and stop taking any. So I'm focusing on my shot and the occasional gummie multi for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donnor
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:01 pm

I have lived in SWPA almost all my life and have yet to find an organic store any where near me, I think I gotta go to Pittsburgh just to find anything remotely close to organic anymore.

I'll live by the sword, and die by the sword.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lance
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah, PA is pretty crap for organic foods . . . especially in the cluster fuck of all the combining suburbs of Philly, Baltimore, DC, NY and Baltimore that I live in Razz.

I don't worry too much about organic, I know it's better . . . but I'm going to die eventually whether I eat the cucumbers that I buy at the grocery store or the ones I paid 20.00 more for at the Co-op. I do rarely, if ever eat red meat though. I tried going pescetarian but I like a little variety so I eat chicken and turkey too mostly. I had looked into CoQ10, but like Terra said, I already feel like I'm taking enough supplements and I seem to be doing fine now. I've found that diet change (not even necessarily organic) and mild exercising are enough to live healthily and not die in your late 20s. As for everything else, I don't care if I end up dying at 62 or 87, if I clear 60 I'll be happy Razz.

And I'll cook for anyone, if Chefs made slightly more money I probably would have just gone to culinary school Laughing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Kazimi wrote:
Don't eat fastfood, pizza, taco bell, mcdonalds,... and don't drink coca cole, fanta, energy drinks,...

Just eat bread and normal food and drink water. That's the best, no need for diets and such.

Bread is actually a pretty terrible thing to eat regularly. It's just empty carbs and you gain weight like crazy.

If you need to eat bread, seeded wholemeal is the best. And don't have it too often.

I've been a pescetarian for 2 years now and only just realised all the crap I was eating when I made that meal plan. I am sooo sore from Thursday night, and last night/yesterday when I walked around the city all day with my big camera and my brother's gig that night to take photos.
I was naughty at lunch cos my friends forced me into eating ice cream and I overrate already. So the walk was good at least. Showed up at the gig and a bowl of fries looked so tempting, but kinda slapped myself and said, 'no, bad Chloe, you've pigged out enough today' and ordered a salad instead.

It's really hard to ignore that peer pressure to eat fatty foods when you're around people who don't care for their diet at all, and those cravings... Oh god, so hard to control especially at that one time a month when I'm so hormonal I NEED chocolate and sugar and sweet things.

You just need to make a plan, stick to it. Find out what works for you. I've now lost 3 kilos because whenever I feel the need to pigout, I do some kind of workout - massive walks, training on thursdays, even dance dance revolution (extremely good for cardio!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shanor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 am

Lance68har wrote:
Yeah, PA is pretty crap for organic foods . . . especially in the cluster fuck of all the combining suburbs of Philly, Baltimore, DC, NY and Baltimore that I live in Razz.
Its all you healthy eating people that put Polock Johnny's out of business. Crying or Very sad Where the heck am I supposed to get a decent kielbasa breakfast now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ffrv.org
Tadhg o' Cleirgh
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:22 am

Oh, you didn't know? Kielbasa is organic, and healthy too. Its okay to eat, even for vegans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lance
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:26 am

Kielbasa is awesome, but polish? I'd marry you, except you might be a westerner . . . and I have no idea what Polock Johnny's is . . . so I assume you're from some unknown western territory of the US, like Wyoming, , hence, I probably should kill you Razz.

(yep, that's modern acceptance for you Laughing)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 am

Mmmm, kielbasa.

There's a nice local food place and a csa up in NY near where I go to co-work, so I really need to make it a priority to go up there. Apparently if you know where to look around here you can find things like raw milk, backyard eggs, and local honey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tadhg o' Cleirgh
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 am

Over here, kielbasa translates to portuguese sausage or chorizos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizmalus
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm going to start trying to eat more tuna again to build more mass. Not a huge fan. I might have to force feed it to myself for awhile... Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 am

Are you gonna do the tuna with plain white rice? bleh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dizmalus
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Nah. Just eat it out of the can after a workout. Cool

But seriously, yeah, I will just prolly eat it out of the can. Neutral Maybe do all three of them back-to-back, spriullina, organic whey, and tuna. Three very different varations on protein. I think I just have to start eating more normally - which I'm not doing. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   

Back to top Go down

Healthy Living
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next