» The Music Thread!
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 am by Trinity

» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

» Post something awesome!
Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am by Minority01

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

Healthy Living

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 am

Tadhg o' Cleirgh wrote:
I love all this advice! I can tell which ones are in fine shape and those who are couch potatos. You know when you are doing the right thing when

- you never get sick, not even a cold
- you never have cavities
- you always defecate as many times as you have full meals
- you always sleep routinely at least 7+ hours
- you don't need to take any prescribed medications

If you are this way, you are doing the right thing.

By the way, anyone doing Triathlons? I'm stuck in a routine I cannot break out of, cannot cut down times or increase speed for close to a month.

Wow, way to be insulting to folks with chronic, inherited diseases. Thanks. Don't take your own health for granted, it's not always within your own control. But most of all, don't assume that the rest of us deserve to be sick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tadhg o' Cleirgh
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I never take my health for granted. What I am saying is if anyone thinks they are healthy and all that hot shit, think again. I was not insulting those with "chronic, inherited" diseases, although you will find out that 95% of them aren't really that inherited or chronic as you think. You read it all wrong. You can read it as insulting if you like though - I'm not like that. Like many, I have an "inherited" hypertension - which is now under complete control. Like many, I had crashing immune system which caused severe illnesses and skin problems - which are currently under control. Family history is rife with cancers, the really ugly ones, and heart disease kills most of the family by 55 years old. I learned the hard way how to do it, and I teach others, but I still research a huge amount to keep up. But we must be vigilant, never complacent.

Sorry if it came on as an holier than thou thing - my writing does not equal speaking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Terrasophia wrote:
Aidann, when I was doing p90x, they recommended a shake post work out which was basically grape juice and protein powder. Was supposed to feed your muscles and promote building them rather than break them down, as well as get you through the post work out exhaustion. But those were intense 60-90 minute aerobic and weight training exercises (6 days a week). Seems a bit weird at first, but it satisfied my cravings after working out like nothing else. I think the exact formula was on one of their web pages, but basically just use white grape juice (100%, no sugar added, etc.) with a scoop of protein powder (I used rice based).

Yep protein after a workout helps your body. My trainer grilled that into me, if you don't eat protein within 45min of working out, your body goes after muscle mass to feed itself... nice that it skips all that fat Razz

As for healthy eating... I went to a nutritionalist last week....and found out wheat and me are a bad mix...not that I really eat much bread, but that rather cuts out a ton of things I did eat. She also put me on a detox/cleanse program that seems to be working? We've come to an agreement on my yogurt consumption, since other then the odd bit of cheese, that is my only dairy....sorry but soy yogurt is bad...and yogurt is what I mix my seeds in. So it's a trade off I'll live with.

I started boxing training... haven't found anyone crazy enough to let me punch them (likely with good reason) So I bought a bag, gloves and wraps (yes they are pink) It is the most wild and exhilarating thing I have ever done. I hurt, I have the wildest bruising on my knuckles and bled thru my wraps... and I just feel...WOW. Stress for the moment is gone.

I have till Sept to get my body matching the cute face. I have a trip to Hawaii and a best friends wedding... I refuse to not look hot in a swim suit or be the dumpy looking bridesmaid.

Anyone who gets the urge to nag me about exercise and the likes, feel free...I'll even add you to fb so you can bug me there too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterie
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Kazimi wrote:
anaerobic exercise isn't good for a healty body. Anaerobe means no oxygen so you don't burn glucose but you make lactic acid from it. Training your body to function with more lactic acid in it is just training your body to withstand pain. You can hold your hand in a fire, it will work as good Laughing

Actually, anaerobic exercise makes you burn glucose, fructose etc etc etc... I'm confused who gave you the info it doesn't.

Quote :
I was not insulting those with "chronic, inherited" diseases, although you will find out that 95% of them aren't really that inherited or chronic as you think. You read it all wrong

You're still pretty insulting... People don't ask to get diabetes, asthma, allergies or whatnot. A set of bad genes is not 'fixable', you just learn to delay an outbreak, it will always catch up. Regardless of diet/weight and suplement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gilan
Commoner

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 am

My diet:

1. Smoke a spliff.
2. Play some frisbee (golf or ultimate).
3. Order a pizza, maybe some cheesey fries.
4. Repeat.

In all seriousness though, I have a pretty awful diet and am surprised I don't have more health issues. I'm 6 4 and about 260, not a lot of muscle. Gotten some good ideas and tips from this thread though, honestly its an issue of me finding the time, funds and motivation to make the lifestyle change. Good looks to all of you who have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Achilles_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Bekah wrote:
Aerobic exercise will keep your weight down, anaerobic exercise will increase muscle mass.

I swim 1-2 hours a day. One day I do laps, usually fly stroke, the next day I just chill and fuck around the pool. It does both for me.

Never had health problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fhead
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 am

my dr has me doing 30 minutes of impact aerobics a day, somehow i have high cholesterol even tho my bp is 90/60 of or 60/90 whatever the fuck that implies, my heart lung is strong before he told me to do that. my torso is obscene.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Quote :
Every blood pressure reading consists of two numbers or levels. They are shown as one number on top of the other and measured in mmHg, which means millimetres of mercury.  If your reading is 120/80mmHg, you might hear your doctor or nurse saying your blood pressure is "120 over 80".

The first (or top) number represents the highest level your blood pressure reaches when your heart contracts and pumps blood through your arteries - your systolic blood pressure. An example might be 130mmHg.

The second (or bottom) number represents the lowest level your blood pressure reaches as your heart relaxes between beats - your diastolic blood pressure. An example might be 75mmHg.

You should have your blood pressure measured so that you know what your target is. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, your blood pressure should be below 140/90mmHg.

Quote :
Cholesterol is carried in your blood by proteins, and when the two combine they are called lipoproteins. There are harmful and protective lipoproteins known as LDL and HDL, or bad and good cholesterol.

Low-density lipoprotein (LDL): LDL carries cholesterol from your liver to the cells that need it. If there is too much cholesterol for the cells to use, it can build up in the artery walls, leading to disease of the arteries. For this reason, LDL cholesterol is known as "bad cholesterol".
   High-density lipoprotein (HDL): HDL carries cholesterol away from the cells and back to the liver, where it is either broken down or passed out of the body as a waste product. For this reason, it is referred to as "good cholesterol" and higher levels are better.

The amount of cholesterol in the blood (both LDL and HDL) can be measured with a blood test. The recommended cholesterol levels in the blood vary between healthy adults and those at higher risk.  

As you can see, blood pressure and cholesterol are not necessarily related, you can have a good blood pressure but high cholesterol (my BP has always been bang on the money and so has my cholesterol - despite my other health problems lol)

90/60 bp is on the low side.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 am

Hey guys!! Since it worked so well last time, I'm BACK on the mealplans!! Yes!! Haha.
I have something to share with you all that took up the better part of my day creating.
I was frustrated at not finding anywhere a decent list of vitamins and minerals and the top foods that include them, so I made my own.

(keeping in mind this was designed for women, but can be fixed for men by adding 5-10% on in most cases) of course it's not sound and does need some things added still, but I'm quite proud of it Smile

So here's the link, and I hope it helps you all Smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47nimw2008rk8me/Vitamincheatsheet.pdf

Now I have a massive list of food next to me that I somehow have to turn into meals. I hope you guys can make something out of this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 am

Nice Ahlia!
Woot! mealplans! The only mealplan I've had in the last month or three has been "Don't forget to eat, fucker!" and it's worked wonders... I gained over a stone and I'm now at a reasonable 87kg (190lbs)...

Also still trucking on with free weights that I'm pretty sure I've grown out of.. College will have gym in September, will have to improvise until then.

IG NAME: "Aidann."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sun May 18, 2014 10:36 am

Here's a list of all the shit I just bought.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc5t8xy0ma77e13/Shopping%20List.pdf

I already have an idea of what most of the meals will be, but of course there will be leftovers, I'm keen to see what ideas you guys can come up with! (And yes, there is no meat!! Very Happy)

Aidan just keep eating foods high in protein. You have the list now, there is no excuse! Eat 6 times a day and you'll be packing it on in no time Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaqk
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Druid???

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 pm

No way. You eat this stuff and you will be crapping out daisies in a week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinity
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon May 19, 2014 4:22 pm

I like daisies...>.< lol

Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Is that where they come from? Surprised

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Francesca.
Squire

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 pm

My mother always told me it wouldn't smell like violets. Now I know why, yeah...daisies!  Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 pm

I don't eat meat so I had to look for alternatives.I don't mind shitting daisies, I can make a daisy chain!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterie
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue May 20, 2014 5:58 am

Do you eat eggs? If so, you can make a 'quiche' like thing from the asparagus.

Use quark or Yogurt, about 200ml, add 2 eggs, pinch of salt and pepper, a little bit of honey or agave syrup (like a teaspoon or just keep it out.), add a teaspoon of mustard, chop up some chives and throw them into the mix. Asparagus have to be pre-cooked. Slap them into an oven dish, put the 'sauce' over it and grate some Parmesan over it, then slap it into the oven and let it heat on a moderate temperature for about an hour.

For the broccoli and penne pasta I'd precook the broccoli, slap them in a wok with some oil, garlic and diced onions and a pinch of sesame seeds, add a bit of sliced zucchini and throw the diced tomatoes over it. Let it simmer et voila. Foods!

With the whole grain wraps you can also make pizza's. It's a bit different, but lower on calories, fats and all that than the original pizza. That or I have a recipe for a 'dough' base on cauliflower.

Chef's school had at least some use with getting creative on my foods and how to make meals. I can go on forever Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaqk
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 am

or you can jsut slather everything in fat. Fat = flavor, lots and lots of flavor.

Just add butter. Everything tastes better with butter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 am

Like potatoes?

but, ahlia, what about Steak?? Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaqk
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am

Right. You can't have a good potato, slathered in butter, without a steak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:45 am

So...
I remember in this thread I said I would never give up dairy
I'm now considering going vegan
How times change, lol Razz

How is everyone else?
Aidan, you fat yet? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:48 am

Wow ahlia, so on point.
Well I successfully gained over  two stone (~14kg, ~31lbs) which I may have mentioned elsewear. Felt great, I could squat my bodyweight (95kg) for 5x5 (not hugely impressive, but was to me Very Happy ), I could bench a plate (60kg) for 5x5, I could run 5k in a semi-good time. But the best part was I could wear just a T-shirt and feel comfortable. I think I got up to 205lbs. I had an ass, I had pecs, I had ARMS. Then a very close lady friend said I had tits (I didn't) and so I lost 5-8kg to try get "leaner".. Then illness hit and I lost a bunch of weight. Right now im back to my mid bulk weight of 14 stone. (I was more than fifteen when I was happy) and currently rebulking and lifting focusing on top half and doing Physio on my legs which means leg gains are lacking.  Physio because I dislocated both my knees at different points this year.

So there's a long answer to a short question.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaqk
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:48 am

That's right and you can't get that weight and squatting in that manner without a healthy dose of red meat. Protein man, that is the key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:16 am

turkey breast is 10000000 times better for protein than chicken is.

Lean turkey breast covered in crushed pumpkin seed, beans on the side, Soymilk/spirulina shake to drink... ultimate protein meal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaqk
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:19 am

Tuerkey is still protien so, it is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Living   

Back to top Go down

Healthy Living
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next