Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the advice, will definitely keep in mind

Luffy1 wrote:
That build looks good.

Some points, it doesn't have a gigabit Ethernet card (10/100/1000) so you will either need to buy a separate one if you want to play BF3 without micro lag (which is life and death in a FPS Shocked ) or get another motherboard with it onboard.
^^^ That is the only thing I'm useless at, f_king motherboards lol what's the difference in them!? Will have to do a bit of googling Razz

Edited to add:

I srsly need to slow down with this haha. I always rush into it when I become inspired, basically change everything from before and then the same problems are there. Here's my new procedure...
- Choose RAM, Memory + power supply..
- Decide on what graphics card I can afford, which I assume is the centre of the build seeing as it's the most expensive..
- Then pick a CPU from there.. *sort of painful part*
- Then pick a motherboard which meets all the requirements..

Here's hoping it's dummy proof Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luffy1
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:23 am

Well as to the motherboard, if you want to keep that CPU, you need a motherboard which supports socket FM2 AMD A-series/ Athlon-series processors. so the CPU can like...fit lolz.

These are the motherboards that will be compatible with your CPU with gigabit on board Ethernet:

ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
ASRock FM2A55M-DGS R2.0
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
ASRock FM2A75M PRO4+
ASRock FM2A75M-DGS
ASRock FM2A75M-DGS R2.0
ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6
ASRock FM2A85X-ITX
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 am

Aidann wrote:
Thanks for the advice, will definitely keep in mind

Luffy1 wrote:
That build looks good.

Some points, it doesn't have a gigabit Ethernet card (10/100/1000) so you will either need to buy a separate one if you want to play BF3 without micro lag (which is life and death in a FPS Shocked ) or get another motherboard with it onboard.
^^^ That is the only thing I'm useless at, f_king motherboards lol what's the difference in them!? Will have to do a bit of googling Razz

Edited to add:

I srsly need to slow down with this haha. I always rush into it when I become inspired, basically change everything from before and then the same problems are there. Here's my new procedure...
- Choose RAM, Memory + power supply..
- Decide on what graphics card I can afford, which I assume is the centre of the build seeing as it's the most expensive..
- Then pick a CPU from there.. *sort of painful part*
- Then pick a motherboard which meets all the requirements..

Here's hoping it's dummy proof Razz
aidan, you can run low settings graphics on lot of integrated or low end graphics cards and you might be surprised how far you can get. i would focus on getting everything else first, and then seeing how much money you had left for a card. i mean, you can get a 5450 for like 15 bucks. if you want a nice vid card, you will spend at least 100 on it.

what are you trying to get out of your pc? a cheap budget build to browse internet with or a real gaming rig?

xbox one kinda sucks man. you can build better already, and the tech is going to pass it by very quickly. if i was you, i would go for a gaming rig, something you can piece together yourself over time. now, do you have anything to work with already? what is your current set up? anything you can pillage there?

myself, i would always go motherboard/processor and then case and cooling. everything else can be piecemeal. You can use a lot of old components in your newer stuff, if that is an option. I'm kind of a pack rat of old pc parts myself.

and dont build too far long term. look at a reasonable goal, because really all our shit is going to be outdated in 3 years. so, build with an eye 3-5 years down the line- and remember you dont have to completely rebuild each time. you can take a lot of good parts with you. hell, my video card has a lifetime warranty... Razz

Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I was using American sites this whole time, I had gotten as far as being ready to order the stuff until I discovered IMPORT TAX, which would of cost me an arm and a leg so I then found parts from local online places and prices went up quite a bit, realising that euro prices don't exactly convert too nicely I'm gonna go back to saving for this..

EDIT: too many spelling errors to admit..

IG NAME: "Aidann."

Last edited by Aidann on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 am

Anyone here know about transferring windows to another drive? From a HD to a SSD or something.

Is the only thing lacking....

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:26 am

I've used Reflect a few times to clone Win drives for drive upgrades. Its basically a backup program but has a clone option. The resulting cloned drives were plug'n'play when it finished, exact system duplicates.  (www.macrium.com) Paid software but has 30-day trial, plenty of time to do a simple system transfer.

Works with pretty much anything the system recognizes, so cloning to a SSD shouldn't present any issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ffrv.org
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Cool, thanks!

I've installed my new fan. Not as good as I was hoping, at least it is keeping my stuff 5 degrees cooler; but it is kinda loudish when I turn it up full blast.

Well, at least I don't seem to need to game with the side panel off. My CPU heatsink got so damned dusty just from doing it this past month. What a pain to clean that shit out.

Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Wed May 28, 2014 4:49 am

An update:

My system was still running too warm, and getting worse with the warm weather. I was always having to take off the side panel on my case, just to vent while gaming. My video card is kind of weird, it vents front and back instead of just the back like most cards. I was gaming and had forgotten to take the side panel off, and the gpu went up to 93 degrees. That was when I decided to try something new.

So, I turned the fan I had installed around, and added another fan blowing the same direction, so I would now have 3 exhaust fans, 1 in back and 2 in front. 1 fan has 3 settings, with a hand switch that I have attached to the side of the tower. The other fan has a heat sensor and automatically speeds up and slows depending on temperature.
I had to drill holes into the front plastic bevel of the case, it's a prebuilt not designed for ultra gaming. The drill holes came out better than I was hoping for, they look cool because one of my fans is a blue LED. I can probably sell this rig for much more than I paid for it. Very Happy

Anyway, with the side panel on before, was hitting 93 degrees. Now, I top out at 81. Problem seems finally solved, and I am done with this build.

Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Didn't build one, but rather bought a well-rated budget computer (a Lenovo H535) to replace my old 32 bit Dell from 2006 that I'd rebuilt at least 10 times:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/335783/Lenovo-H535-57324741-Desktop-Computer-With/

Pretty decent for the money - interestingly my Dell did an Elvis (took a crap and died) only 10 days after XP stopped being updated (XP updates being canceled was the main reason I bought the Lenovo).

So within a window of 20 days, XP was toast, along with my old Dell, and this Lenovo H535 took its place. Been a really nice upgrade (and I'm starting to appreciate Windows 8.1... slowly).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Wed May 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Lenovo's are great from what I hear. Windows 8 is not as bad, you can 'mod' it to be more like win 7 if you want.

Glad you got something to replace the old beater Razz

Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   Fri May 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Yup, I'd recommend one for those on a budget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC Build Advice   

Back to top Go down

PC Build Advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3