» Queen of Ireland
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am by jaqk

» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:32 pm

*poof*

Last edited by _Melissa. on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elois
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Meh, do what ya want. Take what ya need out of the game, online or real life.

I have a high alcohol tolerance but I find going to bars and getting piss ass drunk to be a "chore." By the time i start to feel even slightly giggly, I want to piss so bad.

And i find drunks to be idiots. They smell disgusting, the bloodshot look in their eyes isn't all that attractive, and I just find them entirely dis-interesting. I'd rather hangout with friends anywhere else. And I find the average drunk is just standing their with their bar clothes and their overconfident persona. Meeting new people in general means breaking through all that crap. Only people I bother talking to are the bartenders and the bands...because they're sober and have already established their sense of purpose.

Disadvantage of online is people are fake. Disadvantage of RL is people are fake.

And you can't take an online person home to screw or take really anywhere, but meh. Maybe having some guy whip out his 8 inch dick after a dinner and talking to them for 3 hours isn't my idea of romantic either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:11 pm

*poof*

Last edited by _Melissa. on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elois
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 am

Well, my Chief Sephie and Leah are both single and they do really well for themselves in the game, I think. It's true that everyone wants to play matchmaker with them and find them someone, but I think it's because we think they're great people and wish for them to have a partner in the game as great as they are. Smile But that's how it is IRL too. People see you're single IRL and friends and family want to push you to find somebody.

I think having an RP relationship is great. Someone who is always looking out for your best interests and understands your personality and thoughts better than everybody else. But then again, I just have great taste. Wink

Ed was pretty much the only person in Ayr when I lived there that I could learn from, rely on, trust, and share jokes with. Still someone I trust a lot and get along really well with, but it's a bit different now.

And I get the same with Devin in different ways. When I feel like I'm an island, he's there. When I'm confused, he's there. When I'm happy, he's there. When I'm ready to gnaw someone's face off, he's there. Razz

Both make me a better player and I think I also learn RL lessons that are good from them too.

Now, you can say regular friends can do all of these things but I'm not so sure of that. It's easy for friends to be friends but think about themselves in the end, but in a couple, ya think more like a couple.

As for the big dramas that go on with some relationships, IG or IRL, I think that comes down to maturity and bruised egos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Likaios
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Hrm. A lot of this seems awfully IC/OOC mixed. And I think that gets dodgy. I regard IC romances in much the same way I look at the trashy romance novels I read. It's a fun story, usually acted out in a way I know to be totally unrealistic. That's fine, it's still fun, just like reading The Lord of the Rings again is fun right now. I'll never have a sword or meet a hobbit, I'll never set off on any sort of grand trek across many leagues, etc. It's just in fun.

Now I will admit I prefer to write with people that I enjoy talking to OOC. I've been doing some writing with a friend for a different site that has been a blast, in large part because we're able to have a good time together OOC plotting things. I probably wouldn't bother with any long term or permanent RP relationship with someone I found objectionable OOC'lly. It just doesn't sound like fun.

For the romance thing, I'm just very, very careful about it. I don't need to have Kair or TL or Ehekatl attached to anyone, though Ehekatl is supposed to wake up to go pine over someone for a bit. ^^ I do like writing romance, but I'm finding that I'm quite as happy to do that as a mask or a ghost writer rather than on my actual character. Anyone I do write romance with these days gets a stern lecture at the start of it about boundaries and what is and ain't cool for me. I acknowledge that I'm a high maintenance RP addict and also point out (repeatedly I'm afraid Embarassed) that I'm married IRL and whatever happens between our characters is just that-- between our characters-- and anything that makes me uncomfortable or interferes with any OOC friendship we have will result in the termination of the RP. The RP is just a game after all. Real life and OOC friendships should always take precedence. Now, on the flip side, I don't make choices IG based on OOC friendships any more either. Muddies the waters too much I think. So my friends know that what any of my characters do will not be determined by what our OOC relationship is, though of course I would never do anything with my char's that I knew would be hurtful to one of them. Er, so I suppose all this sums up as: romance RP=fun, but needs careful boundaries. Too much drama can result from misunderstandings otherwise. And if it's gonna have to cause drama, I gotta agree with Melissa-- it ain't worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm

RK is the first RPG I have ever played and I have had to learn a few painful lessons, making a few big mistakes along the way. One of those mistakes was getting engaged IRL to the same person I was engaged to IG. It not only didn't work out, but went quite spectacularly wrong. It took me a long time to get over the subsequent heartbreak. Things are far different for me now and if I have a romantic interest IG - it is just role play and no RL entanglement. Yes, by all means be good friends, but it is safer to keep that level of separation. A good story is a good story after all Very Happy

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm

I was contemplating an ig romance. But then I thought the doomed, I mean lucky fellow, might get all clingy. I hate clingy. Maybe I need to find a non-English speaking romantic partner? That way I don't actually have to read the sweet nothings?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edrahil
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 am

Ziona wrote:
I was contemplating an ig romance. But then I thought the doomed, I mean lucky fellow, might get all clingy. I hate clingy. Maybe I need to find a non-English speaking romantic partner? That way I don't actually have to read the sweet nothings?

Me parece una muy buena idea! Laughing

No, but seriously. I didnt read the whole thread, but I at least agree with the title. I hate people who treat these games as some sort of renaissance date simulator and just spend their day in the tavern flirting with anything that looks remotely like the opposite sex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm

*poof*

Last edited by _Melissa. on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinity
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I started a huge post...just couldn't bring myself to actually post it Sad

All I gotta say is, Right On!!

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:04 pm

First and foremost, you have to wade thru the under 18s to make sure you're not romancing the younglings. Makes me feel icky thinking about it.

Then, weed out the clingy fellows who actually think this is a potential real life romance.

After awhile, the "M" word will be spoken and then you're the parent of a dozen brats... I mean, precious children *looks for a hungry pterodactly*.

Finally, your romantic life is over!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HappyHerder
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Just like IRL, try to find a person that has it mostly "together", is already happy with themselves, and enjoys the RP and friendship for what it really is.

I feel my age/life experience means I make less mistakes and bad choices than I used to.

And really, the FIRST time you make a choice that goes badly it does NOT count. Making the SAME bad choice AGAIN... well that is something to stop!

HH chuckles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:26 am

I don't make bad choices, I just seem to frighten men so badly that they die! No, really, they do, Bekah has buried two fiances so far. I am trying for a hat trick .....

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 am

...And to think, there was a time when you could have had me.

Hell, what am I talking about. You still could!

I don't get this.

It's a damned game. Go withthe flow. Your instincts should tell you whether its a good move or not. If you feel the need to explain at length why you are NOT doing something, then I suggest there is some kind of a subtext. That's not a simplistic way of getting all freudian and shit, but what I mean is... Well,Why isn't there a thread about why people never go into taverns, or own sheep fields, or be butchers, or anything like that?

If you enjoy the written RP, like I do, then you have to relate to others. If you are playing the character properly, then the realationships take care of themselves. If that ends in a romance, then whatever, you know? It should take care of itself.

I agree, stay clear of the kiddies, and be careful of those who only want a IG GF or BF out of RK... theyre easy enough to spot, but why give yourself boundaries that might restrict your enjoyment?

It is an accepted fact that good drama comes from conflict. If you see exactly the same way as everyone with whom you RP, then it's just Cartel style boardgaming, and that puts you into the Spring territory.

I'm just contributing to the debate here. I may have a rep as a IG lothario, but in truth it is largely undeserved. Anyone with whom I have had a friendship with IG will tell you that.

Sure, its fun to be single... but then relationships are fun too. As long as you are having fun, you don't need to worry, or make excuses for yourself.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aalish
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Meh, I agree with Boris. Just go with the flow. Some people you will click with in rp and can take a romance as far as...well whatever. If you are having fun then it is no biggie right? Rk is a game for Pete's sake, you should have fun.
Though, I do agree that sometimes there are those people who take things ooc...then you have to say farewell, goodbye and have fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:58 pm

I can haz Boris? Shocked

I still remember being kidnapped from a party by you Boris - that was a wild ride lol! As for me, I am all for good story telling and Bekah has had more than her fair share of IG romances. She has never yet managed to find the one, maybe she never will but she is having fun kissing the frogs in search of her prince lol!

Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Bekah lol i lurves ya Smile there was some good times back in the day. Smile

Was blessed having an awesome rp partner named Kymdinos once, never anything ooc cause we were both too happy and into our own lives outside the game. The actual story never went romantic or anything it was just an awesome friendship that played out so great cause both of us seemed to really like the writing the story out and never had to even pester eachother on where it should go it just flowed...kinda like how Boris was saying. Just let the words/story flow and it's like a mini masterpiece hahaha. feeling all, oh what's it called? it's a hippy kinda thing lol.

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 pm

I think another thing is just keep writing open RP, like when we went off to the mines. The more casual and open the more often newer people will contribute and friendships will form IG.

I wish folks would bring more local RP over from RK and start and extend more RP over here. Even Anto noted that was the original reason for this forum.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Well Okay then. I take up that Challenge. Are we here to RP or not? I am going to start an RP in the Irish area (only because I am Irish) and all you all can happily hippily follow me.

I wonder if it is too soon to search for a Christmas tree? lmao!

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Bard

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 am

I love being in-game single. Laughing I'm too wrapped up in my own world, in-game or otherwise, to give someone the RP relationship attention they need IG. So if you ever wondered, that's why. Razz Though, in the past there have been a few friends I've considered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elois
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 am

Yeah, can't say I didn't try though, Diz. Laughing And that's rather respectable. I hear too many stories about couples breaking up because one half is always too busy in real life to spend time with the other half.

Well, I still love being in an IG couple. Very Happy La vita e bella.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I know that for some people an IG relationship works very much. For me, I don't mind, but IRL I am taken, so I would have to find someone IG who realises that it is just forum RP, don't even mind IRL friend, but nothing more. That makes it harder, so yeah, I think I am best off as the "black almost-widow". It is fun to have many near misses this way Very Happy

Oh, and this is a plug for my RP in the irish forum - it is totally open and just meant to be a bit of fun, please join in. RP for one is a bit lonesome *pouty face*

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Gotta admit, I'm a little overextended on RP right now or I'd hop in. I really can't add another for a bit though.

A lot of the Irvines are doing most of our RP at that offsite already anyway, so I think we tend to gravitate there first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Telcara
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Bekah I'd love to join your RP but its too awesome! I don't know what to post, I don't see a good opening for my poor RP skillz >_>

My thoughts about being IG single.. having a relationship with someone is fun because you always have someone to be with, never alone. With Telcara I've tried some relationships but it hasn't worked out. What makes me pissed is that some people twist such things, many here probably know Telcara was with Ragehammer but it wasn't more to it than we both agreed ooc that we had different goals etc. *rolls her eyes* Its like each little thing has to be some big drama shit. Anyway.. good thing about being single IG is to flirt with all the guys.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ziona
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 pm

If I could actually open the RK forums I'd make up an imaginary romance. I mean, I've done that already a year or so ago. Love with an NPC is shallow. I like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE   

Back to top Go down

I LOVE BEING IN GAME SINGLE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next