» Queen of Ireland
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am by jaqk

» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

+1 or -1 a Post!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:16 am

As I continue to watch my rep dwindle, I say get rid of neg rep altogether Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 am

I set neg points to 0, probably will keep it that way. Might wind up getting rid of the +1 tho in the end.

Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 am

I like the +1, you have those little rankings on the side under your name that depend on them, don't you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 am

I'm fairly sure that's based on post count.

I wasn't sure I liked -1 being set to 0 at first, but when I thought about it, it prevents the more childish among us from downvoting someone everytime they posted, like what happened Dry a while ago.

IG NAME: "Aidann."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:19 am

Yes, we'll have to save our childish behavior for Skype.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinity
Noble

Character sheet
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 am

Do you know how long it took me to find this?  Laughing 

Positive votes received : 23
   Negative votes received : 1
   Positive votes given : 47
   Negative votes given : 0

And OMG someone down voted me once! Shocked That actually doesn't surprise me, I remember when it happened, not saying it didn't take me a while to remember either Razz (gosh) Now, there has been times, especially with touch screen's that it's been done on accident too which sucks but people have always said as much tho too and we've went back and remedied it.

I don't mind the whole Negative thing, I mean I wouldn't see the point in having it at all if we got rid of it too? Just instead of the -2 make it an even -1 for the +1?

Yeah I had just happened to notice Dry's that day, I know what you're talking about Aidan, I'm sure with him just sharing rk 'news', mostly being English top priority shit posts (which amuse me lol), he just had some serious stalker's, which sucks IMO since we do get our fair share of that on here from English Players (not saying all are bad! Razz at least we have a great select few that show their faces and interact! Very Happy) but that seemed like a rarity? Because I've not noticed anything like that since? However, in this case I don't see the problem with it. It's what happens when shit goes down. You dish it, you gotta be able to take it too, but those handing them out also need to own up when giving them IMO, just like for our +1's, don't have to throw a reason out with it adding fuel to the fire (not that it would hurt to let someone or someone(s) know they need to chill either), but I feel if you're going to do it you might as well own it. Now following someone around doing it just to be doing it isn't cool. Not saying this whole situation was right in the first place either, but once it's done it should be done. Mkay. I've never had the notion to offer a negative rep tho either. Not that I don't see the point in it, cause I do. And just to add, I'm not saying any of this is me trying to be mean or taking sides with either and all involved. I'm just throwing it out there because I feel like it needed to be said. Seems everyone's a bit touchy lately, debated even posting this myself O.o

Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am

Funny thing is, I didn't even down vote her. I think it beats more people posting shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinity
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am

I get it Terra, really I do, more than anyone can probably give me credit for. At this point I feel the continuity of it is just...(insert whatever). I dunno, just seems to have run it's course and it's not going anywhere other than farther south the more posts made on it, if that makes sense. You know I care, all of us do, it's not easy seeing this or knowing what to say to make it better, at least it's not for me.

Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:59 am

I thought this was the most negative, useless, degrading, conflicting thing that could be implemented on a forum. I wasnt going to say anything, at the end it doesnt affect me, and i hardly ever noticed it, but then this discussion started

When i left the nngo was about comradery and team work. This voting promotes popularity contest based on how one posts (but is all about popularity then) but it brings the petty punishing actions from agravated parties. Any disagreement or argument turns into a downvoting slap fest.

Very bad for morale and group managing, in a hr enviroment you would be sack to bring something like this :p. And look at the time we are wasting right now with this.

Reputation of each individual shouldnt be about forum reputation...who cares right?

We all know who is loyal, who spends time organizing and planning, who follows, who helps, who sells cheap stuff to the rest, who is not selfish, who isnt conflictive etc... that is all that matters, this kinda forum competition brings more bad than good.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Francesca.
Squire

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:07 pm

+ 1  Razz  (sorry, I couldn't resist, and no; i didn't hit the button)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:31 pm

I hope I didnt sound to harsh, Im not having a go at anyone with my post, at the end to improve you need to try new things, but I cannot see how voting up (and particularly down) can make this a better place.

And in case anyone comes up with the idea that I think this way cos my reputation is low just to say that I aint that petty  Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinity
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Fran!  Laughing huggsss

No I agree and I didn't take anything harsh from it Vman, you're right too. Was saying the same, I don't mind it if it's gonna stay but I don't think it was ever meant for us to use against each other either ^^ Sucks in a big way when used and abused like that.

Commoner

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Well I'm happy to throw my oppinions into the mix. First off it's better being +1/-1 if it's going to be anything. I think there are a few problems with the system, but I don't know if they could ever really be addressed. First off calling it 'Reputation' is problematic, because some people will see that as an ego trip, to get a ton of 'Reputation' and for them would suggest they are either 'liked', 'respected' or 'appreciated' more than other people. I'm not suggesting that's everyones motivation and it might be no-ones, but I always feel when you have such terminology it can result in those types of feelings amongst some individuals.
The problem that then creates is people start to 'care' especially when people start down-voting, which unlike 'up-voting' seems to be a more silent process, where you click -1 without actually saying it. That then results in bad feelings for the person down voted, especially when they might want to know why what they said was unpopular, or disliked by someone, yet that person has responded with nothing. I personally would like, if down voted, to be given a constructive criticism, about what was disliked about what I said, because that way constructive dialogue can occur, and if needs be, I can improve my own writings, or think twice about posting certain things which others would dislike, leading to a more positive community feel.

Personally I think one of the biggest problems with the system is some people will use it as a 'Weapon' and others as a 'Justification' especially when we see little arguments break-out. Those involved will point to how many '+1's their post got to justify it's validity over someone else in an argument, and it also means others can jump in with snide comments or take sides by +1/-1 peoples comments, and as a result creating an argument over that, resulting in even more negative feelings and arguments which we really don't need here.

So that's my view, the use of the term 'Reputation', the silent down-voting, and the use of the +1 system as a 'Weapon' and 'Justification' when arguments break out are the biggest problems behind the system. But hey, those are my thoughts on the matter, hope they help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roxxane
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 pm

I like it because I'm going to downvote you all!  Razz 

Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:35 pm

aidan wrote:
I'm fairly sure that's based on post count.

I wasn't sure I liked -1 being set to 0 at first, but when I thought about it, it prevents the more childish among us from downvoting someone everytime they posted, like what happened Dry a while ago.

Someone downvoted me for saying that Twisted EvilTwisted Evil- Keep them coming.

Anto, if possible, perhaps we should make it +1/-1, but you can only vote through your post, to prevent incognito voting. Not sure how possible that is though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Francesca.
Squire

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Why not skip the whole voting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritaa
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:26 pm

I really don't think keeping it would make things seem like a popularity contest. Don't get me wrong, if we were in RK forums, it would totally be just that... but we're not, so I really don't think anyone here is petty enough to spend his/her time voting people up/down because of affiliation/spite, don't you think? Smile

Removing it altogether isn't bad either - I really think the feature doesn't add/remove anything in the ambiance around here. The "Reputation" number (I'm sure) means nothing to all of us. The voting is just relevant when we see that a post is particularly popular/unpopular to try and understand why?

Meh, we're all giving this way too much thought Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Oh ffs my post was just about a discrepancy in the numbers and not about continuing this damn fight which I already apologized for (oh and was still downvoted for that too) can you just fuckin drop it already and move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 pm

ahlia we are discussing the pros and cons on having this voting system and we are all expressing our opinion in a respectful manner.

This isnt about you, but about the group and the forum, dont take it personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm

viery wrote:
ahlia we are discussing the pros and cons on having this voting system and we are all expressing our opinion in a respectful manner.

This isnt about you, but about the group and the forum, dont take it personally.

Viery, I just plussed your above comment, to illustrate that I agree 100% with what you said. To me, upvoting is me giving a thumbs up when I am too lazy to post in the affirmative. :PIts not about popularity.

Same goes for downvoting. I think I have only downvoted once or twice in the years we have had this forum. It is me giving the middle finger when I am too lazy to post my dissent.  Laughing 

Ritaa wrote:

Meh, we're all giving this way too much thought Razz

YEP.  Dammit, I posted thus perpetuating the problem!! ARGH!  Laughing Laughing

Commoner

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

viery wrote:

+1! Haha j/k i didn't actually vote up on that.

For me when i say +1, +2 or even +100 i'm not actually giving the person a rep vote. I just means i agree.

But i'll be honest, when this +1-1 rep thing was put in place, i was like, "whaaat!? When did nngo.biz become celsius?!" lol because that was something useless i would expect to see Celsius implement, not biz.

But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:19 pm

viery wrote:

I should have been more clear in the fact that I was addressing terra and not everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm

oh ok sorry then ahlia  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahlia
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:33 pm

No worries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

I now have a follower! Laughing Two downvotes out of two posts in this thread, can I go 3 for 3? Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: +1 or -1 a Post!   

Back to top Go down

+1 or -1 a Post!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next