» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

How I would make a game better than RK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kriegwafen
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: How I would make a game better than RK   Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Ok people,

I am enjoying my wine and I have been pondering this for a while. It's pretty obvious RK is dying a slow death due to the lack of interest of both the players and the Admins. We all kinda like the RK game play concept but it is missing something (a lot of something) that would keep it's players interested and draw more new players that stick around.

Lets imagine the admins are listening to us and actually interested in our ideas. maybe there are game developers out there that would be interested in what we want.

Have at it.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm

I would like some wine to help me sleep, prefer some whisky medicine =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 pm

If I could program, damn straight I would do it - I have already got a great game concept in my head. I think a big problem would be is that we all have different ideas and also there are so many games out there already where would we start? I know that we have people who can program and who can do great graphics here, but do these people have the time and/or motivation?

Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 am

Three cheers for wine, pain pills, and Henry Rollins!

I think ideally an RK replacement game would have all the strengths of RK and ditch the weaknesses.

Strengths:

Flexibility of gameplay - investment of time not necessary to enjoy the basics but plenty to explore if desired

Player determined environment - the fact that players make the laws and determine punishments, create cultural institutions, and all that stuff is beyond awesome (however, unlike RK there needs to be some flexibility in those insitutions - just because some precocious teenager with OCD wrote to admins first about their ideas should not mean all players must use that system for ever and ever).

Weaknesses:

Limited mechanics - too many dead ends like Science Way, nonsense war coding, and level 4 not to mention the unbalanced economy and universal application of rules which only serve to help the players in specific areas (France.)

Limited conflicts - some of the rules governing the player determined institutions artificially constrain RP conflicts in the supposed interest of preventing OOC conflicts. Bullshit. One legit church? Fair enough in the Renaissance. It's not Catholic? Fuck off. If there can be a toothless, bloodless, ballless version of Rome than why not go whole hog and let the other fantasyland churches play too. Just... mindbogglingly stupid in implementation. RK is sort of a cocktease about the player determinism stuff.

~~~

RK wants to be a period game but with modern trappings in the interest of gameplay fairness and keeping players interested and buying tokens. Well, I would suggest that either a time and place be found where the democratic political model works historically or ditch it in favor of some sort of meritocracy based on reputation points earned either in combat, on the forums (post voting like we have here) and taverns (like RK rep points) or purchased with tokens. This sort of system would allow for power to be gained in any of the usual realistic ways: force of arms, power of persuasion, or bribery.

SK might suck in a lot of ways, but the forums there were a breath of fresh air compared to RK forums. People were respectful of perception and superstition in allowing some fantasy elements wihtout insisting they go to a fantasy ghetto. In a game where every post can be voted thumbs up or down, and it matters for IG rank, the few people who make SK miserable would never be able to keep power long unless they had a massive army at their back or a fat stack of cash to blow RL. Checks and balances between behavior and power to impact other players is I think important and lacking in Celsius games.

Money would not disappear down ratholes because we would anticipate needing to use it to fund massive armies, ransom our prisoners, pay off extortionate armies, get really drunk, give alms to the poor, pay ourselves lavish salaries, etc.

There would be just as much fun to be had (and just as many obstacles to surmount) in playing it good as there would be in playing it evil.

There would be concrete achievements (lots of people like to decorate their profiles with this stuff: witness the siggies that read like resumes) and a more complex leveling system.

There could be a choice between country and town spawn points for level 0 which would dictate their resource or menial tasks. Level 1 could involve a choice between character builds, gaining a small number of stat points depending on a preference of brawn, brain or beauty.

Master blacksmiths can make 4 knives in a day from the same materials it takes a journeyman to make 3 and an apprentice to make 2 - that sort of thing. Level 2 sorts of professions would include more than craftsman roles but also roles like farmer, innkeeper, apothecary, soldier, wench, artist, whatever assortment got a good balance between good and evil. Like RK there would be a hefty cost associated with changing professions. Unlike RK you would not lose all ability to use the old skills - maybe a 50% penalty for the secondary skill?

Profession choices would suit playing styles:

A wench or innkeeper would be ideal and gain the most influence points for those who like to socialize in the taverns for hours and hours

A soldier would be good for the future warlords.

An artist would be the banner makers who want to RP doing something they enjoy and get paid in IG coin for RL efforts. If Sephie chose to play an artist character, her renown as an artist would gain her IG influence. Someone like Devin could play a bard and be compensated for his songs and increase in status as well.

Farmers and craftsmen would be ideal for those more interested in commerce.

Remember the urban vs. rural thing? Choices would be limited by location. Choices would also be limited by saturation. Two master blacksmiths in a village might not want to accept any apprentices. To make this less of a pain in the ass, the social aspects of the game would be encouraged so that people would need to network to reach their goals.

(It should be noted that I do not know how to code...)

It would be assumed that players are able to conduct themselves like adults in this setting.

Anyway, a girl can dream.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edwin
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 am

I'm a web programming student and was thinking of building something RK like myself. I don't know all the tricks of the trade as of yet, but I do know a few Wink However my time is limited due to assessment week and limited funds.

Edit: Problem is with such endeavours that they never reach the completion stage as everyone gets discouraged during the process of building. And there are many reasons for that:

- Ooh I've done so many designs and I'm getting so few money out of that, while everyone could come up with an idea.
- Ooh what's a biggie of drawing few pictures. Sit down here and program stuff like I do and get paid pennies...
- Those slackers don't program and design stuff fast enough. We will never get paid if this continues...

And the reason for that is that strangers have very little understanding of others roles and what does it entice and get impatient or feel their efforts are not rewarded enough. As it comes to strangers you don't feel comfortable enough to put that forward to whoever leads the project as you might be considered ridiculous. Therefore I'm a bit sceptic about the whole thing and doubt anything will come out of it. I've heard of so many RK-like projects and most of them died at a stage of an idea as other team members didn't like it. I need to add it was kids being entrepreneurial most of the times too and there wasn't much dedication coming out of those teams either...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:41 am

I think the one of the most important thing a game can have is balance.
You need to have a balanced economy, a balance between what people can make and what they have to spend, a balance on the market, alll easier said than done.

One fault I find with RK is all countries are the same, a game needs to be adjustable to certain regions, ie french cities,with their high populations, can afford the £50 a day waste while a town like stirling cannot.

Some things I think that need to be changed are

1. Advancment, to learn a profeesion instead of just saving your money and buying a workshop, someone should need to do an "apprenticship" in anothers workshop. This would give the owner of the work shop (who has to pay the apprentice a wage) the oppurtunity to either work in his workshop with the apprentice ( producing maybe 150% more) or to do something else like studing, travel and maybe producing alittle less maybe like 75%).

2. there should always be a way to dump your goods, say at a low price (which goes into a void ?) and there should be a way for goods to appear from a void at a higher than normal price. this should help keep an economy from becoming stagnant.

3. elections if a party wins, all the party gets in, no sharing of percentages.

4. army battles this definately should not mimic RK, there has to be a better way to determine battles, I dont know how many fights i have been in where I fought no one while 4-5 people have killed the same person.

these are a few quick things off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beth
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:17 pm

I quite like the concept of corruption, but it could be better. Perhaps based on population size, and obviously if there were no assets then there would be nothing for those pesky npc civil servants to steal.

True, this might mean that mayors would then hide assets in grants all the time. Fair enough, then there's nothing left around to be stolen. They've acted to prevent corruption by locking it all away.

An interesting twist could be that some of the corruption charge could land in the mayor's pockets, so there's the temptation to not lock stuff away. Yeah, I know that mayors can skim or rob a town blind without anyone else knowing already ... but it'd be a better system than the current one. A corruption charge for a town already in debt and with no assets is daft. As is a blanket corruption charge that takes no account of the size of the town.

I'd also like to see the feudal system built into the game more rather than this democracy stuff. But perhaps that wouldn't be popular enough to draw players. And yeah, more player determinism with regards to major institutions, rather than stuff being imposed from the top down when there is no foundation at player level to support it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Likaios
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Eh, EM has the feudal system and it's a bit too static. Maybe there's a half way method of it. Regular turn over in mayors and county governments is one of the things that has the potential to create conflict and excite interest in RK. How can we retain some instability and turn over but dress it up better?

Getting rid of corruption for towns and counties in debt already is an obvious must have. Scaling corruption also makes sense.

More flexibility in how the mines system is managed would actually be enough to "fix" some of the major economic problems in RK. What if we could set capacities completely on our own via a governmental office? (Not just halvsies, but complete control, down to permitting only one hire a day if we wanted.) What if cost of upgrades was determined by average attendance over the past month? I still think downgrades would have to be somewhat less frequent or mines outputs would have to be higher too. My preference would be for improved outputs. Leave some room for people to screw the pooch or just be incompetent.

I like Cina's apprenticeship idea a lot if it can be worked out. It would lead to a more realistic class set up and really a better economy in towns.

Dun care so much for the artist option. Seems hard to code in a way that would make it a viable money making career. Much like RL I guess. ^^

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sephrenia
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Quote :
An artist would be the banner makers who want to RP doing something they enjoy and get paid in IG coin for RL efforts. If Sephie chose to play an artist character, her renown as an artist would gain her IG influence.

Oh it so already does Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beth
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am

Quote :
Regular turn over in mayors and county governments is one of the things that has the potential to create conflict and excite interest in RK. How can we retain some instability and turn over but dress it up better?

Have dukes appoint the mayors they want ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magogh
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 am

Make the game dynamic more like starcraft 2, dawn of war 2 kinda thing. By that I mean that towns have a basic setup to start with but they can be expanded with many things to make them better "bases". Likewise counties as entities should have some things they can "build" to differentiate them from other counties and so that as an entity there are some possible goals.

Towns might have town halls, different levels offering different mayor buttons. Walls offering different levels of protection. Wall artillery or design allowing attacks on enemy armies outside walls.

Towns might have levelled markets too allowing different forms of trade or different numbers of market stalls from which to trade goods.

There's loads of stuff that could be built that way which gives a more solid basis in game mechanisms to the superstructe of rp.

Criminals could have hide outs, fortified like towns but with different strengths and weaknesses. We could have guild banks or town, club, clan banks which allow shared access. Likewise shared accomodation or production so that houses can have married couples, families, clans, gangs in them.

Loads of conflict mechanisms we all know about and have ideas about and for the life of me I dont know what Celsius find too difficult to implement. Just a better war and conflict system though.

There's millions of stuff, but I would suggest a central idea of having towns and entities like them be expandable and developable in the same way as other "builder" games. That makes communities with a common purpose rather than a community of 600 people worrying about a stupid debt figure or mine outputs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cina
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:19 pm

Having the ability to upgrade the infrastructure of towns (village>town>city!) would help balance economy without resort to magic leprechaun gold like Celsius thought was cool. At one point I think they were talking about implementing defensive walls. My guess is they could not figure out how to code it into their graceless war calcs. They opted for corruption and prestige instead to suck up overproduction, which resulted in the difficulties towns without private patronage had in building ports n stuff once those came about. Also, building up the town creates a concrete answer to the question, "What is the point (besides taxation) in the town NOT staying constantly bankrupt?" That and tangible group goals are swell community building tools. On the baddie side there could be options to tear down buildings, which would require hiring demolition crews. The goodies could also find that they need to use those options in an economic dip. Infrastructure should incur an ongoing cost for maintenance. There might also be an option to turn off the ongoing cost by shutting down certain buildings. Realistically, you cannot deactivate a wall, but you can deactivate a town hall by locking its doors. For added fun, perhaps a BURN button could exist. Activation of this button would activate an option on the Me screen like the one for revolts "Put out Fires" or it could be on the group options. Travel, Defend the Power, Bucket Brigade. Actually, if it were to be a Better Than RK, the group screen makes more sense, with the Revolt option needing an Arson option next to it. Numbers of firefighters versus numbers of arsonists. The militia could automatically count as firefighters? But then how would it be handled if revolts and fires happen at the same time? Could the mayor set the priority? I feel like I am writing a game for Pirokiller now. Very Happy

I like Beth's notion of corruption partially entering the mayor's pocket for pure moral dilemma fun aspects. There was once upon a time the option for mayors to pay themselves a salary of 20 pounds a day. (Flashback to Girvan: the then mayor was the only baker in town and the pigs hoovered up the corn. The mayor paid himself the salary rather than bake because he "needed the cash for studying." Much hue and cry was raised. Highlarious!) On the other hand, ongoing maintenance would eliminate the need for a corruption sink. Perhaps if the cost was small and related to town cash transactions, as opposed to population. What I mean is that a percentage of paid taxes, market sales and purchases (as if the actual prices were over and under-reported, allowing a crooked NPC clerk to skim) and tavern proceeds simply poofed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bekah
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 pm

I have created the bare bones of an idea but it is not ready to be shown yet lol. The problem with creating too much complexity is that it can get confusing. I mean I played 1400, but I got bored with it because there were actually too many options and too many possibilities, yet little or no social interaction. If I want to play a game like that - why play an MMORPG? I will rather just play Civ or something. The secret to the success of an RPG is the facility to role play within a game context. So you need a simple game, with the capacity for wide variance. Not so easy to do, but I am working on it lol! No need to build a sim game, just something interesting enough for the casual player and intricate enough for a more serious gamer. I tend to be quite analytical and I have spent a fair bit of time trying to pin-point why RK has been so successful and why it still has a loyal following despite being so screwed up. My conclusion is the simplicity of the game plus the complexity of the role play environment. Those two concepts have gelled well for Celcius and they are difficult to replicate without creating a clone of the game.

Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm

So many good ideas here. I made this post with the gut feeling that maybe one other person might see a game the way I would see it. Well, just about everyone hit on the things I would want to see in an RK like game.

1. none of this level bull shit! its about the trades you perform should make your character, also, better avatars that you can create as you create your account.

2. no money magically disappears in the game; it all has to go somewhere and not to the NPC shit. If there is corruption, then there should be a real person behind the corruption.

3. A town should grow with its people. More options as the towns progress, like walls, towers, and militia size.

4. Armies... 80 people hitting one person with a fatal blow? maybe for LJS this would be fine IRL

The game would poses the ability to be balanced but is vulnerable to all things we love to do Twisted Evil but also can be recovered giving the whining little RP bitches something to look forward to.

Just a thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beth
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 am

This whining RP bitch waves to Krieg. Would you prefer no RP too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Beth wrote:
zomg is you cat the french chick? seem sssooo cute Razz

I want more clothes and weapons and drinks on RK and food. Better ways to accidentally kill people, for ease of nodeshopping there should be shops to sell 2nd hand goods there. So noone can borrow the stuff back from you after you borrowed it from them.

Also farms are boring, there needs to be pets. Forgot farms have animals oh yea, well they should have noises for everytime they burp etc. Kind of like a tamagotchi, I want a pet monkey and train it to borrow people's stuff, also dress it up and feed it tavern drinks. Want a pet feminist kitten, train her to scratch people's eyes off so they get lost on nodes, use her as a self defense mechanism after her nails are manicured and keep me company for nodes and from evil people.

Interior design ability for houses and taverns. Would make my day Smile Oh wow and they should allow squatting random people's houses who aren't in town, so you can take their home inventory or mess about with their fields etc.

x m
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magogh
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 pm

whining rp bitches? RK is a fuckin rp game :S
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 pm

lol krieg, yanno i rp sometimes too Very Happy

Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Heheh yeah I'd like a game that was more RP intensive - less social networking where players are just being themselves from RL. If I wanted a frigging social network I'd join FB. If I just want to go around bashing stuff up without motive, I go play DDO. I'd like a game where you create a character concept. Where roleplaying has some impact. Where events within the game affect your RP choices, rather than ooc obligations cos you happened to be mates with someone as a player. There's nothing wrong or bad with playing a mortal enemy of another character and laughing about it together oocly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the_flame
Squire

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Quote :
Want a pet feminist kitten, train her to scratch people's eyes off so they get lost on nodes
lol thats cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kriegwafen
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Beth wrote:

im sorry, I usually write only after my 13th beer or so. the "Whining RP Bitches" are the ones who in whom I believe take it a little too far. RP is cool and all, I even do it on rare occasions, but you all have to admit that there are some that might over do it a little.

Laughing maybe I should proof read what I write. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Melissa.
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 am

the_flame wrote:
Quote :
Want a pet feminist kitten, train her to scratch people's eyes off so they get lost on nodes
lol thats cool
Come to think of it, gave myself heeby jeebies... Reminds me of Mrs Coulter's daemon evil monkey in The Northern Lights. Would be the perfect pure evil minion though.

I wonder how SK/ NK /RK will all become one... Sounds like it would be buggy but interesting. Aztec, Japanese and Renaissance... Would my character be speaking Rentecanese... How would it exactly work with the forums etc? /noob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HappyHerder
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Well some kind of Graphic MUD game sounds like what most are looking for. MUDs are basically all tavie chat and u give away points based on RP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 pm

I know this is not helping solve the problem, but as one who is currently addicted to mindlessly stupid iPhone app games, RK seems like it would be perfect as an App game. It is kind of stupid that it is a browser game. As a matter of fact, some of my mindlessly stupid app games are more complex in gameplay and choices than RK is...and they include a forum that can be accessed on a computer if desired.

Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Oh yea, and Krieg, I feel ya on how some select RPers take it too far. I get what you are saying. It seems that some are so far gone into the fantasy world that they cannot differentiate real from game. It is more strange than it is irritating though.

PostSubject: Re: How I would make a game better than RK   

Back to top Go down

How I would make a game better than RK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next