AuthorMessage
Beth
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Calling all the Bards   Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Gimme your tips for how to play a bard!

I'm really enjoying my new toon who will eventually be a multiclass with two levels of barbarian, currently bard6/barb1. Have taken the warchanter prestige path. She can dps pretty decently and am enjoying giving the party buffs and support heals. Dump stats are int, wis and dex, and she's a human THF.

Currently pondering whether to stick with the light armour or to go with robes.

What can I expect in the future? Spoilers please, and tips and tricks welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee_Snider
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:22 pm

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249865

This is the build Davidleeroth is based upon.

He's pure bard, but the 2 levels of barb you're adding will help you kick some ass. Very Happy

I followed the feats, spells, and enhancements to the letter.

The only thing I don't have is the epic gear (and I'm not willing to invest the time to do so at this point), but that's ok - I've made do just fine with my own choices.

Good luck - Warchanters rule! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

My bard is a spellsong. With the last update, my songs can replenish SP of the party.

Bards are a fantastic 'jack of all trades' toon. Make sure to take advantage of their charisma modifier and invest heavily in UMD. Bards can use any scroll, so in essence could cast any spell.

I have seen bards solo heal shroud, in which usually there are 2 clerics! I have seen bards do some of the best crowd control, their song fascinate has a very high DC, it is practically irresistible.

You can basically make a bard be whatever you want it to be. But beware! Like all builds, if you try to do too much of everything, you wont be particularly good in any one thing.

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Yeah, that's what I want to avoid really, being mediocre in everything ... hmm. The link to the warchanter build is great and now has me thinking about whether to take the next feats in healing stuff or THF stuff. I was going for the latter (cos I like hitting stuff) but the discussion within the build thread is interesting. I really did enjoy supporting the cleric in a party the other day by throwing some heals when she was out of range to do so and so keeping the melees going. The idea of being able to party heal at higher lvls is appealling. Need to think about this some more!

What I have liked is that I can solo pretty easily, and haven't need to pop a hireling at all for the quests I've done alone so far. But moreover, I've really enjoyed being in groups. No pressure, do some nice buffs, keep playing the songs and hit some stuff. I'd say that so far this is the toon that I've most enjoyed pugging with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee_Snider
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 pm

The one thing I've noticed about Davidlee is that he seldom dies (even when soloing).

Sure he heals himself, but he also has a safety net from songs and various buffs.

He also has a respectable amount of HP, a Lit2 Falchion, decent medium armor, and 38 strength, so he can hold his own.

Only thing that sucks is not having castable resists. Pots last 7 minutes though (about as long as songs do) so not too big of a deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blainwolfe
Commoner

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am

I just started a bard after reading that war chanter thing. I was wondering though, can you learn any songs other than the ones you get when you level? Can you ever switch between them (my only experiences have been with wizard and cleric). So far I've followed the perscription, but by that it says you don't actually take any healing spells until you're on your lvl 3 magic. Any alternative spell routes than the one mentioned, or is it best to be all buff, no heal or fight at lower levels (I was afraid to deviate from the prescribed bard in case I couldn't switch spells out and why is mermaid such a good spell in comparison to other spells on there? Needed for higher levels or something? because I've never seen it used)

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a second Beth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee_Snider
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

The Merfolk's Blessing spell does have its uses - just ran The Crucible the other day and the guy who did the swimming part was asking for it. Also helps those who have heavy armor, so they don't have to take it off while swimming (useful in the Vale & Tempest's Spine).

You can take the cure light wounds spell at level 1 (and then change it out later for another spell if you desire). I ran on pots until I got the cure serious wounds spell (I started Davidlee at level 4 - veteran status, so I had the cure serious wounds spell after about 2 days of grinding to level 7). A balance between buffs and heals is always good.

Bard spells are your personal choice and not set in stone - pick which ones you want based upon your gameplay style - you can change them out later at a trainer for a fee (one spell every 3 days):

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Bard_spells

Some songs are common to all bards.

Some songs are unique to each bard prestige enhancement line (Warchanter, Spellsinger, and Virtuoso).

To change between unique songs, you would just simply reset your enhancements at a trainer (for a fee) and change prestige line.

Here's an explanation in detail about bard songs:

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Bard_Songs

And finally, here's some information regarding bard skills, feats, buffs and spell progression:

http://ddowiki.com/page/bard
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Bard_Buffs

Hope this helps and happy adventuring with your bard! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all the Bards   

Back to top Go down

Calling all the Bards
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1