~NNGO IZ SRS BSNS~

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» NNGO Airship Amenities & Crew [Guild Level: 81]
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 pm by Beth

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» How's life treating ya?
Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

» Post something awesome!
Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am by Minority01

» Totally legit US presidential poll
Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 am by Minority01

» Headset Survey
Tue May 16, 2017 4:54 am by Minority01

» Laugh of the day
Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 pm by Bekah

» The Music Thread!
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm by anto_capone

» Discord
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 pm by anto_capone

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

How's life treating ya?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Telcara
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 am

viery wrote:
kudos to you bekah ;-)

lordmatthew, im an ancient historian and i consider not julius caesar but also pompey, scipio, augustos and a lot of the roman leaders as genocides, vile murderers, bullies...

in fact most scholars would see them in this way, also alexander, but with alexander im on the group of those who know he was terrible but im absolutely fascinated by him.

so yes if hitles would have been born a long time ago he would still be seen as a terrible murderer ;-)

I have actually never thought of it from that perspective, but you are absolutely right. I think I have simply not read enough about these people, only what I was taught in school - which was that they're all great people. No wonder history repeats itself when we only elect the good bits to remember...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheatley
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Then you have to look at it from the view of a contemporary though, during the reign of Rome, Greece, et al was not the world populated by peoples and leaders whom supported genocide and the likes...from those times, the Romans could be argued to have been the "liberals", they didn't necessarily tend to wipe out whole peoples but rather incorporate their country into the Empire and give their men of fighting age the opportunity to earn citizenship via service.
(You can't really judge a person, culture, group or country from the past with modern values as very very few if any would have possessed such. Example - Abraham Lincoln was a racist and criticised by abolitionists frequently, did he free the slaves? Yes, was it merely to free the slaves or to ensure Britain and France couldn't intervene on the side of the South. Would he have been racist if he had been born today, or was it merely he was born into a period in which racism was prevalent.)

That and histories from such a time are entirely bias, you wont find many sources from Brennus, Boudica and the likes.

Either way - Hannibal the Great was the man, screw Alexander. Anyone can walk into a temple and claim to be god, not every can march a huge army, including elephants, from Africa, through Iberia, over and throughthe Alps and continuously slaughter the superior in number Roman forces.

(yeah, you guys got me started Razz )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:16 am

well hannibal is another soft spot for me hehe, nearly as much as Alexander and followed by both Scipios, and probably mithridates :p.

You are partly right in your argument but dont forget that whatever a civilization culture may be it doesnt have the right to anhilate other peoples, and that thought was present in antiquity as much as today so yes cheatly the romans thought they were doing good and bringing civilization to other people but look at what everyone else said about the romans...exactly what i said, therefore we are not really judging their deeds from a contemporary view but from a basic human nature one.

Those who kill are call murderers, when alexander wiped out thebes, he was a murderer, when scipio aemilianus burn carthage and numantia to the ground killing most of the people there he was a murderer, when caesar went in a mad killing spree in gaule he was a murderer...and any neutral ancient source would say so.

edit: the ratio was much worse for alexander than for hannibal, in cannae there were 30-40k carthaginians against 80k romans, but when alexander first met darius his 40k macedonians faced probably between 150k to 200k...so who faced the more numerous enemy???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheatley
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:00 am

I didn't say that it was right to anihilate other peoples, but at the time it was a widespread and accepted method of consolidating power within a new region - massacre a few thousand of fighting age in order to deplete the possible numberes in a rebellion and secure power within. It wasn't particularly looked own upon but accepted as a harsh but effective method of consolidation. The thought that is was majorly wrong and the likes may have been prevalent within the circles of philosophers and the likes but with those in power and those propping up those in power such thoughts were just the fancies of a group that had nothing major to worry about and could spend their days dreaming and debating. Just look at the crusades, they all believed what they were doing was great and the will of god. It was neither in terms of morality but to them it was.

Ancient history in it's entirety is bias to be honest, you wont see many/any recorded history of the Romans from the Picti perspective etc, just from the "civilised" peoples.

Wiping out Thebes, Carthage and the likes is viewed today completely differently to how it was during the time.

Hanibal only had about 20k proper soldiers, the other 10-20k were gauls against professional armies doubling his own numbers and more. He evaded other tribes that were against him, evaded roman armies, then engaged them when and how he wanted, decimating numerous armies. The Grandfather of modern tactics. Razz If Carthage had provided him with the backup they had promised Rome would have fallen. Iirc Hannibal was the reason behind the only senate appointed dictator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazimi
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm a student Civil Engeneer and today I had exam of philosopy. Very important for a civil engeneer Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Telcara
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 pm

I hate totally unrelated things to your studies.

Or things you'll never use in the work field. Its simply a waste of time and money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I do agree with you that the way most universities go about doing things that it is a waste of time and money. But I do think its very essential for any person to become well rounded. I feel that a large majority of the problems and lack of innovation in the western world has been brought about from a obsession for specialization in ones studies and career. They need to find a better approach to get people the kind of education that is worth having.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazimi
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 am

That's true Zakku. That's also why we get those lessons.
In every country you can study for engeneer but only in a few you can study for civil engeneer. Engeneer is just engeneer and civil engeneer is an all rounded engeneer with manager capacities and you need to study longer and harder.
Our university is also the only one in Flanders that gives Philosophy and ethics. And I think that this are some good lessons. Probably we don't need those things for our future job but it's important to have a general knowledge.

But when I look to my auditorium when it's philosphy, only half of the students are present. And that's a pity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elois
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am

Went to a Catholic fellowship last night. I think I made the mistake of going to one of their bigger meetings. There was well over 100 people packed into a museum lounge. And the food was disgusting. Had hoped the food would be free (haha). Turned out to be something like $14 for a slice of pizza that wasn't really pizza. Was more like a small pita with sauce on it and weird cheeses and tandoori chicken.

Dont fuck with pizza!!!!!!!

And a martini for $12 that had blood oranges and herbs in it.

I don't now whether to be more annoyed at the West Village/Chelsea yuppie bullshit or more mad at myself for not just taking my stuff out of coatcheck(which cost me $4) and going to some fast food joint.

Anyway, that meetup wasn't my thing and I kindly thanked the organizer for planning it but said it wasn't my thing, which is where I got attitude. Told him it was getting a bit too crowded for me, to which he said, "Nothing I can do about that," with a tone and turned away.

I co-ran meetups before, where I had people who didn't want to pay for fees agreed to earlier. I've had people get in the face of Santana's bassman and ask him to turn down his amp. I've had people, who after I bring homecooked food, complain and bitch about the event and stick their fingers in the food for a taste when they think I'm not looking. And much worse than that.

And because I was pissed, I ran into a diner and had a mudslide and fruit smoothie. Folk at the diner were nice. Made me feel a whole lot better. They even complimented me on my hat, which I had knit.

So then I get in the subway station, preparing for my 1:30-2 hour trip back home. So I'm standing on the platform, near the yellow line but not on it. This skinny, high pitched yuppie walks up to me, stops, looks me up and down, and then passes by, saying, "Thanks for moving." As if I'm supposed to move onto the yellow line for his ass, when anyone could try to push me off. Nigga, please.

Fuck Manhattan. Brooklyn for life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Elois wrote:
Fuck Manhattan. Brooklyn for life.

Represent chica! Razz

Sorry about your meeting.

Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 pm

cheatly you couldnt be more wrong even if you tried ;-)

" Just look at the crusades, they all believed what they were doing was great and the will of god. It was neither in terms of morality but to them it was."

it was always about power, money and many obscure reason we dont really know for sure, hardly anyone went believing they were actually fighting for the holly land.

"Ancient history in it's entirety is bias to be honest, you wont see many/any recorded history of the Romans from the Picti perspective etc, just from the "civilised" peoples."

history writing by the victors and all that...happened then, happens now has happened all throughout history, who makes the vietnam movies? the vietnamese???

"Wiping out Thebes, Carthage and the likes is viewed today completely differently to how it was during the time."

not that much really... look at the balkans war, the servs still think they did the wright thing like the macedonians or the romans, yet the rest of the world thinks they didnt...just like in the cases of thebes etc.

"Hanibal only had about 20k proper soldiers, the other 10-20k were gauls against professional armies doubling his own numbers and more. He evaded other tribes that were against him, evaded roman armies, then engaged them when and how he wanted, decimating numerous armies. The Grandfather of modern tactics. Razz If Carthage had provided him with the backup they had promised Rome would have fallen. Iirc Hannibal was the reason behind the only senate appointed dictator."

wrong again, every sinlge soldier was basci to hannibal they were all "proper soldiers" if by proper you mean carthaginians then you are wrong again, carthage had no cartathiginians in their armies, only the officers, they rest were always mercenaries.

Hannibal`s army was made of numidians (great cavalry), celtiberians and other tribes from Hispania, Balearic slingers, Gauls, Cimbris etc... but that was always the case for Carthage, and yes Carthage did provid more help to Hannibal, his brother Asdrubal went to Italy with another large army but was destroyed by the Romans.

By the way, Hannibal`s bigger victories were facing the Romans on frontal battles like in Cannae were 60-70k romans were killed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 pm

The Carthaginians did have a fighting unit called the sacred band that fought as a phalanx in conjunction with a companion cavalry force. The Phalanx part was mostly destroyed in Sicily in the 5th century but the Cavalry remained, often in small numbers. For some reason they were not used in the battle of Zama but they were around at that time.

If Carthage had gotten its shit together politically history might of turned out differently.

Oh also I had a wonderful day today, got to bed around 10 pm last night * after having a great dinner of homemade Cous-cous and pan fried garlic lemon Rock Cod* and woke up around 9:30 this morning. Had a quick breakfast of Challa and butter with a glass of raw milk and lounged about in bed till 11:30. Played some Starcraft with a friend till Mage got home then had more left over cous-cous and caracara oranges for lunch. It was really nice and sunny out so we went down to the Marina and laid on the grass and got some sun in and read my book while watching squirrels and seagulls fight over bread. Got home two hours ago and am now cooking dinner which will be slow cooked cannellini beans with rosemary over toasted bread and a arugula salad. Mage is going to go out with some friends for a movie night and I am going to break out some beer or brandy and see what kind of terrible things I can find on the internet to look at. Yup its gonna be a good night!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

zakku they didnt fight outside Carthage, they were a defensive unit to protect their territory from foreign attacks, they never went to Iberia, nor to Italy. And they were never more than just a couple of thousand soldiers ;-)

Enjoy your brandy/beer Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 pm

oh I know I was just giving you a hard time Razz The Carthaginians were softies!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viery
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:26 pm

arent we all deep inside?

i know i am a softie...arent ya? :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm

been mining for a heart of gold Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:02 pm

So life here has been taking interesting turns....

I got promoted at work. Pretty impressed about that. It wasn't the manager who promoted me, it was the district manager... the manager has yet to really tell me I was promoted (she's still sulking that the girl she wanted, 1 didn't want the spot, 2 quit when the idiot manager kept harassing her for not wanting it) So yay me... an extra $1 an hour and I get to do the same shit as always, just with a fancy name tag....One girl said she was impressed that I didn't let the power go to my head when I got the spot....I'm still trying to figure out what power, cuz hell it would be fun to have power.

Then cuz I just really have nothing better to do, I sent in applications to the colleges around.... I have an interview on Thursday to get me into the Practical Nursing program that starts April 16. Looks like I'm gonna be a college girl.

That of course all ties in with the still somewhat shocking news that once I graduate, We're going to be moving. I really fell in love with Hawaii when I went over there for vacation. The culture, the scenery...the no 40 below... The hippy in me loves the idea of living somewhere that I can grow food year round without need of a greenhouse. The good parent side has to look at the fact that my kids will have one hell of a lot more experiences and opportunities then living in bf nowhere BC (plus Dizzy is quite excited about the idea of having a surfer boyfriend she can write to all her friends back here about...gotta love my girl) And well honestly, if I'm going to be a nurse, run off my feet for 12 hours a day and deal with all the stuff they get to, I want a view like that to see every day.

So ya, that would be life so far.... scared as hell about the whole school thing..and feeling somewhat like I'm going to the darkside by deciding to move to the US once I graduate Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Telcara
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Nice! Hawaii will be a good carrot while studying! Wish you the best of luck =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazimi
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 am

And yes, today I'm very happy. The exams are over! Almost two weeks vacation for me now cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazimi
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 am

I just got fucked by the banks. Not that I'm in debt or something but if it continues, I'm in debt in 300 years or something.

I have a few accounts and one of them is a small checking account from a smal bank with 349,84 euro.

Old saldo on 10-10-2011: 349,85+

Interests + costs:
Basisinterest: 0,17+
Income tax: 0,03-
Right: 0,15-

New saldo on 01-01-12: 349,84+

They are pulling my leg... It costs me more money to keep my money in a bank then I get from interests...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elois
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:10 am

I hate how just about every bank has it where if you have something like less than $500 in the bank, they charge a fee. Seems very counter-intuitive to building a savings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Wow I wish my bank would let my fees slide if I had 500 in the bank. I think I have to have over 1500 at any one time to cover my ass. Good thing Zakku is a frugal little ducky most of the time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Credit unions! I dumped US Bank about a year and a half ago and feel much better about it. They don't have hidden fees for dumb shit AND the money stays in my community. I HATE the idea of lining the pockets of bank CEOs while I am struggling. (fees)

I do have a credit card with Bank of America and feel like I sell a piece of my soul when I give them money. As soon as I am able, I am transferring the card to my credit union.

Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Bellz wrote:
So life here has been taking interesting turns....

I got promoted at work. Pretty impressed about that. It wasn't the manager who promoted me, it was the district manager... the manager has yet to really tell me I was promoted (she's still sulking that the girl she wanted, 1 didn't want the spot, 2 quit when the idiot manager kept harassing her for not wanting it) So yay me... an extra $1 an hour and I get to do the same shit as always, just with a fancy name tag....One girl said she was impressed that I didn't let the power go to my head when I got the spot....I'm still trying to figure out what power, cuz hell it would be fun to have power.

Then cuz I just really have nothing better to do, I sent in applications to the colleges around.... I have an interview on Thursday to get me into the Practical Nursing program that starts April 16. Looks like I'm gonna be a college girl.

That of course all ties in with the still somewhat shocking news that once I graduate, We're going to be moving. I really fell in love with Hawaii when I went over there for vacation. The culture, the scenery...the no 40 below... The hippy in me loves the idea of living somewhere that I can grow food year round without need of a greenhouse. The good parent side has to look at the fact that my kids will have one hell of a lot more experiences and opportunities then living in bf nowhere BC (plus Dizzy is quite excited about the idea of having a surfer boyfriend she can write to all her friends back here about...gotta love my girl) And well honestly, if I'm going to be a nurse, run off my feet for 12 hours a day and deal with all the stuff they get to, I want a view like that to see every day.

So ya, that would be life so far.... scared as hell about the whole school thing..and feeling somewhat like I'm going to the darkside by deciding to move to the US once I graduate Razz

Congrats on furthering your education! I am looking at doing that myself this fall. Scared!

About Hawaii and the education systems (concerning your kids after you move). I would look into the schools for which ever island you are thinking about living on. I lived on Oahu from 4th-9th grade (or for you, Grade 4 through Grade 9 Wink ) from 1987-1992. The public school system up in Wahiawa was terrible. Granted, that was 20+ years ago, and may not even be the island you are interested in living on. I just thought I would give you a heads up, from having experienced it.

In any event, have FUN and best wishes in school! And yea, NOTHING beats the beaches. Seriously, every weekend of my life for 5.5 years we went to the beach. It really is amazing and I took it for granted as a kid. Imagine my disappointment as a petulant 14 year old girl, seeing Washington "beaches" for the first time. (For those not from the NW, they aren't called "beaches", it is called "the coast". For a reason.). I will admit that I shed a tear for my boogie board!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aidan
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Kazimi wrote:
I just got fucked by the banks. Not that I'm in debt or something but if it continues, I'm in debt in 300 years or something.

I have a few accounts and one of them is a small checking account from a smal bank with 349,84 euro.

Old saldo on 10-10-2011: 349,85+

Interests + costs:
Basisinterest: 0,17+
Income tax: 0,03-
Right: 0,15-

New saldo on 01-01-12: 349,84+

They are pulling my leg... It costs me more money to keep my money in a bank then I get from interests...

Thats weird, in business right now we're doing "taxation" and I asked "is it possible that government can tax you more then the bank gives interest" and she was like no..

but then again, my new business teacher just came over from england and she only a texbook smarts kinda girl, my last business teacher was a really business savi person so its a big difference..

IG NAME: "Aidann."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How's life treating ya?   

Back to top Go down

How's life treating ya?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next