» Games to Replace RK - Reviews
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:26 pm by fhead

» Queen of Ireland
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am by jaqk

» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

not sure where to put this...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: not sure where to put this...   Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 pm

so you can move it if you want. And don't think it needs to be responded to. I just need somewhere to get it off my chest and all that.

Yesterday morning I woke up having an anaphylactic reaction to a stink bug. this is what they look like I've known I was allergic to them, I welt up if they "stink" on me, stepped on one once, got his foot stuck in my heal like a sliver and couldn't walk for a couple days due to swelling... but all in all, things I could deal with. See, they are about as common as flies here in BC.At least in the fall, and wen you live in the woods, in a log house. They are a wood bug, and seek shelter each fall (namely my house)

So yesterday morning I woke up, having a hard time breathing and feeling a burning sensation on my leg (I knew I'd squished a bug.. As I sat up, I felt one on my arm (bastard bit me) and there was one on my pillow who managed to die and get his stink bug stuff all over my pillow (leading to whatever it is to get in thru my eye, neck corner of my mouth..ya I sleep on my side) I started to itch like crazy, and figured it was just the fact I squished one, and I know if I wash I get most of it off, so I went to take a shower...It didn't help at all, and it got to the point I could hardly breathe at all. I grabbed the towel noticed there were bumps everywhere (worst case of hives I have ever seen ) and I was sunburn red...

The kids were still home, hadn't left for the bus yet...I scared the hell out of them when I said I had to get to the hospital NOW. I tried so hard to not worry them, but failed miserably. They got left to get onto the bus and I got rushed in...I feel so horrible that I did that

The nurse at the desk was a complete bitch.She yelled at me for not taking benadryll... I could barely breathe, swallowing wasn't an option. Said if I knew I was allergic I should have an epi pen.. even tho we were arguing that it had never happened like this before...and then she wouldn't believe us that it was a stink bug cuz no one is allergic to them

The Dr and Er nurse were much better. The Er nurse came in, listened to my lungs for maybe 5 seconds asked if I had asthma and when I said no, she ran for the dr. The dr did about the same thing, adding in smoker and if i smoked pot.. as the nurse was putting a mask on me and injecting my arm (my lungs were filling up with fluid). I got a shot of epinephrin and a few other things..my blood pressure was so low that the epi brought it up to a low normal, my pulse didn't go above 79. Even the dr said no one is allergic to stink bugs...had she not seen me and heard everything she wouldn't have believed it

They kept me for over 4 hours, to make sure I was responding..we had to promise I would get an epi pen... and was told it was a necessity to have it because I live too far away if it were to happen again.My moms a nurse, has been an er one and an emt... so when she got to the hospital and saw/found out all that happened, she kinda melted down. I was extremely close to not getting there in time... I think it was just sheer stubborn will that did it (and randy flying to town... the 20 min trip was done in 10, and he stopped for 2 lights)

I spent last night drugged up on stuff, and taking benadryll every few hours cuz the itching kept coming back and I'd start swelling up. The house got de stink bugged (tho it won't help they still come in) the bedroom ripped apart, washed and all windows in it siliconed... and I went to sleep jumping at the slightest touch of anything.

It's hitting me today... I read up on anaphylaxis, and that... it doesn't help much. They suggest you avoid the thing you're allergic to. How the hell do I do that? And I don't like bloody well being scared of a damn bug. Now worry that if it touches me i'll react. If the kids get rid of one, and it stinks on them or something and they touch me it'll happen... worry about if I step on one..breathe in the stuff if they stink....I feel horribly guilty that the last sight my kids could have seen of me was pretty well ignoring them to get into the truck to the hospital. I scared everyone in my family...my mom and brother called constantly after I got home...mom almost crying, Dallas choked up and trying to make jokes about it.(he said I'm going to be the answer to a trivia question from now on) Keenie left on a over night school trip yesterday...I got out of the hospital just in time to hug her before she left, she sent me texts all night telling me she loved me.And I am at a loss of what to do about this. I don't know how to protect myself from it happening again. And scared that even the slightest contact will trigger it again

like I said... Im not writing this for response.. I just need to get it out of me and somewhere that it won't affect people here. If they know I'm scared, they will be to... and I don't want that. Sorta wish yesterday could just be erased and not have happened
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikhaila
Knight

Character sheet
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Anaphylaxis is scary. I have seen it and I am glad you got to the hospital as fast as you did. Don't read the net on it. Net is full of crap that is a mixture of truths and not truths. Just get to your doctor and get them to prescribe a few epi pens and to update them on what happened. Also get yourself a med bracelet just in case something happens. Try to include your kids on the know hows of using an epi pen; just in case something like this happens again they can help if you need them to. As to avoiding the bugs. Since you can't, just make sure you have a pen on you at all times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toasti Jen
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Mik has really good points.
I have to echo her sentiments in saying don't read up on it on the internet. As a person with high health anxiety, I am here to tell you it only makes things worse! (as you well know, I am sure).
I am glad you are well and glad you had a place to "anonymously" vent. That is one of the great things about internet friends! Very Happy We are sounding boards for some strange stuff! Including health crises!

Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:15 am

The one major point I'm going to add in here is LEARN HOW TO USE THE EPI PEN PROPERLY!!!! And make sure Randy and any kids that are old enough know how to do it too. And keep more than one.

Why? Speaking from the medical professional side I can tell you that there is an end that the needle comes out of, and an end that has no needle. And they are not terribly effective when the needle goes into your thumb (or someone else's) instead of your leg. Also, the needle can easily get lodged in the bone of your thumb if you do it wrong (seen it several times).

Anaphylaxis is scary. The most important thing is that you get both medications (epi and Benadryl). Epi stops the life-threatening symptoms, but is very temporary. Benadryl stops the reaction itself, so you need that for when the Epi wears off. Sounds gross, but chewing the pills will get it in your system faster (or get the kids' liquid kind and take an adult dose - 50mg).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:22 am

holy shit bella, im glad you are ok!

i declare war on stink bugs! they must be eradicated!

to arms! rarrr!

Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:11 am

so very sorry to hear what you've went thru Bella! BIG HUGGSSS hope you're feeling better by now!

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I don't care that you don't think it needs responding to... I was affected by reading it. It made me think of that when I was a kid I kind of thought grown ups weren't as scared of things, they didn't cry that often and all that. Later I figured out they just learned not to show it.

Even if you don't want to worry your kids, I think you should follow the advice of teaching them how to use the magic pen and maybe tell them a bit about allergies and strong reactions so they know what it is and can recognize it if they don't already. The scary bit is usually when you have no clue what's going on. There might be some kind of chance that they might be oversensitive to things themselves? If their dad and you have other allergies and stuff there's always the chance of them having it too, tends to be genetic. Just saying...

Are you able to use bug killing stuff? There's sprays and powders. Some are pet safe even. You can spray on surfaces and that minimizes the chance of the bugs taking a casual stroll there. If one bug finds a way in, others follow its scent, or rather, stink marks. I noticed that in my bathroom when woodlice were following an older trail left by another.

Quote :
When it comes to getting rid of stink bugs, it is advisable not to crush or molest adult bugs for they emit appalling smell at such threats and attract more bugs(vacuuming them and disposing them someplace far far away was adviced to not attract more) [...] As prevention is better than cure, it is better to seal these cracks with caulk or other suitable material in order to curb these insects from crawling into your house. Remove potted plants and flowers around your home; establish barren land around your home; switch off lights at night; and set stink bug traps in and around your home..

http://stinkbugsguide.net/get_rid_of_stink_bugs.htm

I just did a quick search to see how common infestations of these are and it does seem quite common in some parts. There are for sure some preventive measures and just one site had many good advice.

I mainly looked these things up for my own curiosity and thought to share. I didn't know that crushing them was really bad as that just attracts more and it didn't seem to me that you did too. Anyway, I kinda blabbed a lot now... but I really hope you can find a good solution to decrease their numbers and don't have to live in constant fear of them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Springtime
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:04 pm

OMG Bella, I'm so glad you're OK. Please be careful, and maybe see an allergist, I don't know if there's anything more that can be done besides the EPI pen, but it can't hurt to check it out.

Try not to build up your fear of bugs, remember other people have the same allergy with peanuts, and can get the same type reaction just from smelling them when someone else is near with them. They never know when they might get exposed. The main difference is those bugs are disgusting, so it makes them easier to fear than peanuts. But the allergies carry the same risks. Try not to live your life in fear. Take the preventive actions you can, and enjoy your life. Don't let those bugs get the better of you. Just remember you're much bigger than they are, and you have the EPI pen to protect you, if you need it.

I'm with Anto on declaring war on those disgusting bugs. I hate them for what they do to our Bella!

Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:59 pm

wow thank you all.

This week has been interesting. Being half stoned all day is a new feeling for me. When I mentioned Claritin and all that to the girls at work, I go "head clear for the first time scares you huh?" The Dr told me claritin every day till they are all hibernating (so likely till December/ Jan) and Benadryll if I come into contact with them. Which happened this morning
I swear those lil bastards wait to get me when I'm not awake...

No repeat of what happened, he just landed on my hand flipped me off (likely my imagination, but I'm sure he did) walked 2 steps before I managed to flick him. I got itchy instantly, so popped benadryll all day. People at the playground build were pretty amazed I was functioning. (that event was so awesome and I wouldn't have missed it for anything ) They just kept me away from anything that required much thought or focus... so I rambled on a live web broadcast for a while.

And I'm still waking up, so hopefully this all makes sense....

again thanks everyone =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sephrenia
Citizen

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:51 am

*hugs Bells loads* I don't have any advice or anything. I just have lots and lots of hugs.

You're not allergic to those are you?! *eyes*

And I sympathise on the half stoned all day thing - three quarters stoned is worse Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ikids
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Wow I have never heard of an allergy to stink bugs, I know what you mean about not getting away from them, they are all over the place were I live.

I also know what you mean about how terrible anaphylaxis is, I am a bee keeper that happens to be allergic to bees (go figure lol). My only adives would be to try and see an allergist about getting desensitized? I know they can do it for a lot of allergies, but idk about stink bugs sinse it is so uncommon...

Either way, glad to hear you are ok Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mythrind
Serf

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Yeah Bella, trust me... I know how scary that shit can be!

I agree with Mikhaila, Epi pins are th' way to go...

They hurt like hell when you use them, but they work pretty damn fast and make it so you can get to th' hospital to get better treatment!

Glad you were able to catch it when you did, that shit can be verra bad news.

Glad yer okay an' hope yer all back t' yer old self!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not sure where to put this...   

Back to top Go down

not sure where to put this...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: