» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» NNGO Airship Amenities & Crew [Guild Level: 81]
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:15 am by Beth

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

» Post something awesome!
Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am by Minority01

» Totally legit US presidential poll
Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 am by Minority01

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

Tips for new peoples

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ArcaneJill
Admin

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Tips for new peoples   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm

This'll be very incomplete, so add your own tips (or questions) here!

1. Don't be afraid to completely screw up your first toon. We all did. Many of us have undertaken Lesser Reincarnations/True Reincarnations and reset our enhancements more times than we can count. You can always re-roll or fix them later. Just have fun with it and explore!

2. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone in the guild should be willing to answer questions or help steer you in the direction you're looking for. If someone doesn't answer you right away in guild chat, they may be in a quest and too busy to be typing, but we'll get back to you! You can always ask things here too. If you're new to a quest and in a group, let the people you're with know that you're new. Most people won't kick you or pick on you and the very few that will... well you don't want to run with them anyway Razz

3. DDOWiki is your bestest friend. But it won't always answer things in terms you'll understand right away, so remember tip #2 Smile

4. Guild benefits! Just belonging to the guild gets you access to some things that will help you out right away. House Kundarak (off the Marketplace, or you can go there from the guild ship Navigator) has discounted potions, wands, scrolls, and hirelings for guild members. They also sell guild augments, which are the best low-level "twink" gear that anyone can get. With our current guild level you can use up to Medium guild augments. Find/buy/ask a guildie to help you find an item with a guild augment slot, then buy the augment you want and slot it by putting the item and the augment into a Stone of Change (there's one on the lower level of the ship and another in the Marketplace). Medium HP/SP augments will get you +15 stacking HP or +60 stacking SP.

5. Couple class-specific ones - Rogues can use any level Thieves' Tools as early as Level 1. I usually try to keep a stack or 2 of +5 Thieves Tools in the guild chest. If you rolled a rogue and need good tools, and there aren't any in the guild chest then let me know and I'll find some for you! Clerics/Favored Souls want the best Devotion item (usually a shield) you can find for your level. It'll make you heal better for the same SP cost.

6. Come prepared! You should try to carry, at the bare minimum, Remove Curse potions, Cure potions (best you can get for the level), Lesser Restoration potions, Neutralize Poison potions, and Remove Disease potions. They're all at discounted rates from the House Kundarak guild vendors, and I and others will be happy to give you some plat to get started. Other potions like Rage, Haste, and Heroism are nice to have but not as essential. Classes that can use wands will usually find the wands much cheaper than the potions.

Last edited by ArcaneJill on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Moar tips!

About free-to-play:
DDO is 100% free. You never need to pay any money to play, but if after a month or two you find yourself in love with the game as many of us are: I recommend upgrading to a premium account. It can cost as little as 5 dollars american, and once your account is premium it will stay that way forever.
Bonuses to being premium:
  • No level cap platinum limit, you can carry the max amount of plat
  • You can list 40 auctions at once, instead of one at a time
  • You get 4 character slots, instead of 2

About Geography:
If you are brand new to DDO, you are probably unfamiliar with all geography of it. Not to worry, soon enough you will be running places in your sleep! Here are some basic hints/tips:

From Korthos, you can go to the harbor from the docks. If you have never been to the harbor, the game will warn you that going to the harbor will make you unable to group with people who have not gone to the harbor yet. Confused? Don't worry. The basic point is: If you go to the harbor, you can ALWAYS go back to Korthos if you missed some quests or anything there!

In the Harbor, you can access your mailbox, the bank, the auction house, and most importantly: the guild airship!! The guild airship is available to all in our guild, and you can invite people in your party onboard the ship as well, even if they are not in the guild. The guild airship has a lot of hour long buffs that are invaluable in questing, and of course we have a bar! Smile

(will add more later, still kinda in a food coma Razz)

Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Favor:

So favor is this cool little thing that really makes the game free. As you run around the game world, you'll find that there are some quests you can't get into. LFM notices will say "P2P" (pay to play) for certain quests. So what's an elf to do if you don't want to spend money on buying the pack?

If you look at your adventure compendium (the button in the top hotbar that looks like a book) you'll notice that there are numbers next to the quests you've done. This is the favor you've gotten from the quest. Clicking on the "Patrons" tab in the adventure compendium will show you your total favor. You get the most favor from a quest once you've run it on elite, and you don't get more favor by repeating the quest once you've done it elite. For example, if you run a quest on Normal and you get 3 favor from it then you will get 6 more when you run it elite (for a total of 9 favor).

As the favor adds up, you get bonuses from each patron. You also get Turbine Points for each 100 favor total you get (regardless of patron) and special once-per-server bonuses of Turbine Points.

You can spend the Turbine Points in the DDO Store. There's a bunch of crap in there that you are better off not wasting your points on, things that can be earned through favor or just found in quests/purchased from vendors. Adventure Packs however are not found in chests or earned through favor, you have to buy them with Turbine Points. And Adventure Packs = more quests = more favor = more Turbine Points Smile

More here:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor

Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Little more explanation on earning Turbine points with gameplay:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Turbine_Point#Earning_Turbine_Points

Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 am

Bags! Remember to set these to auto collect.

At some point you'll get frustrated with collectibles as your red freebee bag will overflow. When this starts to happen regularly and you're getting tired of turning them in to keep your inventory free, consider getting a medium collectible bag. These are available for around 8000 plat somewhere in House P and I think House J too.

If you need the plat to buy a bag, poke one of us.

Also you can get a free small green ingredients bag from the patron in the Twelve (entrance from SW in marketplace) which has room for 30 ingredients such as essences, in addition to the tiny ingreds bag you get from the guy outside the gate to the marketplace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee_Snider
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 am

A quick heads-up (from someone who has made this mistake before).

If you are planning on doing any kind of lock picking or trap disabling, then you must begin life as a rogue (level 1).

Don't learn this lesson the hard way by getting to level 19 and deciding you'll just add a level of rogue into your paladin so you can pick locks, because you'll quickly discover that your rogue skills are useless and that you've wasted a level on a useless class.

So, before you go multiclassing (i.e. making a toon with more than one class such as a pally/rogue build which is a mistake), ask someone first! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Have a Elf or Half elf Girl and run with Tod

Very Happy

Yeah I know Beth you want to kick me

Never be scared to ask for a Guild rescue when you are stuck, Jah knows I did often enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArcaneJill
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:09 am

Make sure you have at least 1 slot open in your inventory if you run with Tod. You'll need it for his stone Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 am

lol Tod needs a char named zergmaster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angeljoy25
Noble

Character sheet
DDO character: Rogue
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 am

So I should probably not run with Tod as I do more than my fair share of dying, and seem to fill my inventory a lot. lol Poor Tod Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 am

Angel, you're just extra squishy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:02 pm

angel hasnt realized that squisy elf rogue vs orge is not a fair fight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angeljoy25
Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

The damn ogre didn't know enough to tremble in fear!!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Maybe someone can explain Agrro alittle better but the way i understand it, The one who deals the most damage to a monster is at the top of the aggro list. So if a sorc shoots a magic missle at a orge, and that he gets past your tank or fighter (if they dont hit them) the sorc will be the one being attacked, atleast until the tanks or your fighters get to them.

One way to get them off you is diplomacy skill, but only if you are not the only one on the list (ie like when you are soloing).

Sometimes it is better to tlet the tanks engage before the weaker people join in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terrasophia
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Seldomseen wrote:
Maybe someone can explain Agrro alittle better but the way i understand it, The one who deals the most damage to a monster is at the top of the aggro list. So if a sorc shoots a magic missle at a orge, and that he gets past your tank or fighter (if they dont hit them) the sorc will be the one being attacked, atleast until the tanks or your fighters get to them.

One way to get them off you is diplomacy skill, but only if you are not the only one on the list (ie like when you are soloing).

Sometimes it is better to tlet the tanks engage before the weaker people join in.

Yes because I get sad if I can't smack things. That's the reason I went pally on Khyber instead of cleric like I have on Ghallandra...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes, there are ways to boost your 'hate' and 'threat', from items, to enhancements and stances.

Some people are intimi-tanks, who use intimidate to go to the top of the aggro list. I don't know a whole lot about making one of these, but some raids need these types of tanks.

My monk is a hate tank. He has a huge boost in threat.

What threat/hate is, is a percentage booster. So, if you smack that monster for 100 damage, if you have 200% hate the monster reacts to your damage as if you hit them for 200 damage etc.

Then, on the other hand, there are ways to reduce your threat. Diplomacy is a skill like intimidate which if successful will place you at the bottom of the threat list. Rogues for example, get enhancements to lower their threat, which is good because a rogue will only get extra sneak attack damage if the monster is not aggro'd on them. At level 20, it is 20d6 extra damage per hit if the rogue does not have aggro, so rogues definitely invest in it.

Noble

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Ok, that makes complete sense, thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:55 am

But I also heard subtle spellcasting is not worth it so i didnt put it on my sorc, mainly because i would hope that by thim the monster reached me he would be dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:14 am

i dont take subtle spell casting, because i want aggro on my wiz and sorc. some spell point regen items only work if you get hit Smile

Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Okay, so let the monsters hit the squishies. Got it. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyphia
Serf

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Ok, got a question. It's around 'rolling' for loot and 'who has to roll'?

If something 'drops to me that I want'..and others in group want...do I still have to roll to keep?

Or is it only on loot I do not want that I offer up to group and have them roll if more then one person in group wants it?

I don't want to give up something I want by mistake but then again...I don't want to be on anyone else's 'shit list' either.

heh...plus...I have a habit of just 'grabbing and go', not even looking at what I got. Guess that could get me in hot water as well.

Shocked YICKS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Our basic guild 'loot rules' are pretty standard:

1: If loot drops in the chest, in your name, you can do whatever you want with it:

• a: you can loot it and keep it for yourself
  • b: you can pass it to a friend/guildie/whoever you want in the party
  • c: you can try to 'sell' it to other party members, but be warned some people will black list you for it
  • d: you can place it up for roll
  • e: you can leave it to rot in the chest

2: If loot drops in the chest, in someone else's name, there is little you can do; but do not roll on loot, win the roll, and then pass it to someone else or try to sell it. This is proxy rolling and is not cool, it will get our entire guild blacklisted. Its the same as someone getting extra chances at loot, I've blacklisted people who have done this to loot I have placed for roll.

Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:36 pm

And typically, be careful about 'grabbing and go' when it comes to end chests or special chests with rare loot in it.

It's your loot, but I've seen it happen plenty of times and it pisses people off. For example, I once was grinding the titan raid looking for a very rare belt. I was desperate to get this belt, the raid is very hard to get a group for, it is difficult to complete, and after 20+ runs of the raid I still did not have this one belt.

The last time I ran that raid, the belt dropped. Of course, it was not for me, and whoever it dropped for looted it very quickly.

I typed 'congrats on the belt'.

They responded 'what belt?' and then 'oh, that is a nice belt, too bad I won't ever use it. i guess i'll leave it in my bank or just sell it to vendors. oh well haha'.

I fucking black listed that idiot and have not run that raid in a year now. Razz

Did he do anything wrong? Nope. Call it what you want, but they made my list just for that. Maybe I should take them off, but I'm still pissed about it. Razz

Royal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 pm

The point is, if loot drops in your name and you want it, take it. But also, be considerate of others.

Sometimes people run a certain quest or raid literally hundreds of times looking for that one piece of loot that you just pulled. So if you aren't sure about it, or if you don't see yourself using it within a next life or something; you can really make someone's day by placing it up for roll.

If you think it will just rot in your bank, or be sold to a vendor, then place it up for roll and make someone very happy. Smile

There is a flip side though. For example, if I pull some rare loot, and I am thinking if I want it or not, and before I can even decide people start rolling on my loot: I will blacklist them and exclude their rolls.

One time, my wizard pulled a +3 strength tome. I took a couple mins to decide if I could use it or not. Before I could decide, people started to roll on it even though I had made no mention of it being up for roll.

Those people are still on my black list as well. It was very inconsiderate of them, and I try to avoid people like that.

Serf

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Chuckles nodding. Bad memories of running VOL for those stupid pieces they had to collect come to mind. She shivers remembering running it so many times she started hearing that awful 'girly' vampire scream EVERYWHERE she went. Laughs realizing to this day they still had not even finished the quest series they had worked so hard to do it for, having got 'burnt out' on it. Grins over at Anto.

Bet we all have 'those quest' that just piss us off. Evil or Very Mad

But thank you Anto. Makes me much more comfortable knowing what is proper or expected of me. And what is proper and 'should be' expected from others.

Thank you especially for telling me of the 'proxy rolling'. Running with family and IG partner, my first instinct would be to do exactly that if it was something I knew they needed/wanted.

On 'grab and go'....I have noticed that if it is a run where something really good 'can' drop...people do stop and let people gather, taking the time to see what everyone gets vs. the ol' foot race where everyone pretty much grabs and goes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   

Back to top Go down

Tips for new peoples
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next