» How's life treating ya?
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 pm by Trinity

» NNGO Airship Amenities & Crew [Guild Level: 81]
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:15 am by Beth

» Laugh of the day
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm by Bekah

» Introductions
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm by anto_capone

» Bundlenomics Exposé, or, Where the Cheap Games At?
Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm by anto_capone

» Communication with the Royal English Embassy
Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm by Bekah

» Post something awesome!
Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am by Minority01

» Totally legit US presidential poll
Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 am by Minority01

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Share | 

Tips for new peoples

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alyphia
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Next question! Smile

I'm learning how to make some of the stuff I have collected epic. Seen Scrolls and Seals, but what about the Shards? Not seen any so where do they come from and/or how do I get?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Depends on the chain, but typically shards only drop in the last quest of the chain. So for example:

Sentinels (House D) - shards only drop in "A Tide Turns"
House P Carnival - Shards only drop in "Under the Big Top"
Red Fens - Shards only drop in "Into the Deep"
Vault of Night - Shards only drop in VoN6

etc...

There are some exceptions:
Sands of Menechtauran - Shards can drop in the end chest of any quest, but very rarely - more likely to drop in Demon Queen pt 1 and 2
The new chain - shards can drop in any chest.

Maybe I'm missing some, but you get the gist - best chance is to run the last quest in the chain to get the shard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArcaneJill
Admin

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm going to add something off topic but good for people to know regarding loot.

Non-named loot (random loot gen stuff) with a large guild slot is generally worth beaucoup plat. Some items are worth more than others, like if it's an adamantine/silver weapon or adamantine tower shield. But generally you can get ~200K+ for any item with a large guild slot. I recently sold an adamantine greatsword with a large slot for 2 LDS.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee_Snider
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Also, pay attention to non-bound raid loot - some of it is really valuable.

For example, I pulled an alchemical heavy repeating crossbow in the Master Artificer raid.

Someone in the raid said it was worth a lot and as I didn't have any use for it, I threw it up on the AH (as a joke) for 750,000 plat.

It sold in about 2 hours, maybe to that same person lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Sheesh, I think I've got one of them that I'm never probably gonna bother using as I've really gone off my arti. He's now nothing but a crafting bot...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Mon May 28, 2012 7:19 am

There is a 25% quest XP bonus until 3rd June. This means that you can level much quicker Smile

So, if you have a low level toon and you were hoping to get it up the ranks a bit, now is as good a time as any to get some questing done!

I've noticed that a lot of the newer peoples have gone a bit AWOL. Hope to see you back soon and active Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thorisin
Serf

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Well I am sure to most this might be common sense but I have noticed no mention of how to set up hotbars.

So for those that are new that might have difficulties with hotbars, I figured I might offer some advice.

Your primary bar should be those things you use all the time... You can have up to 20 hotbars splattered across your screen but if your healing or beating on something, you really like to see it. So throwing 20 of these all over your screen is no fun. It also adds alot of confusion when you are looking for something.

So your first thought to putting things on your hot bar is... is this something that I will use alot and often? As in my cleric, I have a ton of spells but only a select few that I actually use.

My clerics hotbars look something like

4 across the top of the screen, 2 down, 2 across, 1 along the right side and 2 at the bottom. I can add another to the bottom without cluttering up my screen much.

So my primary bar looks something like this...

#1 - Searing Light, #2 - 6 - My single heal spells, #7 - Blade Barrier, #8 - Healing Aura, #9 - Divine Vitality, #0 - Turn Undead

The reason, esp, for a healer is that you want to memorize where your hotkeys are... is bad enough I have to think F1 is me, F2 is the next person, etc.
If in dire straights I just click on the person... but once that is done I can guage health and know exactly what key I want to hit for a heal... if I want to throw a blade barrier, is #7, can hit it without a second thought.

The bar below this is spells that I might trade out with... except my heals... they are always in the same place... single heals top bar, mass in the bar below... I also put the same size heal above or below... so #2 is a cure light... #2 in the bar below it is mass... #6 is a full heal... #6 below is mass heal.

The bar right below looks like...

#1 - Divine Punishment, #2 - 6 - My mass heal spells, # 7 - Energy Drain, #8 - Devastation, #9 - Implosion, #0 - Burst Heal

These are all spells I use often and other than the heal spells, I can swap them out to my primary bar as needed. I also keep things that work well as a combination together for quick casting... i.e. Energy Drain then Devastation... lovely instant death combination.

The next set of bars over are spells I can use on occasion... offensive spells... being healer, cast them when I have the oppurtunity... some crowd control, summon creatures, etc.

The side bar holds my removes, my buffs, mana clickie and mana pots, these are things I use often but are not used all the time... the bottom bars I use for my weapon sets, gear changes i.e. feather fall ring, waterbreathing ring, etc...

My fighter is a little bit different... if you like me and hate using clickies well a fighter is for you... you have to learn to use them because Stun and Trip are great weapos for a fighter.

2 bars down across top, 1 along side and 2 at the bottom

#1 - 5 are different weapon sets... Basic weapon set, I use all the time... Undead weapons, giant killing weapons... again always in the same place... with having it memorized I can quickly switch between weapon sets... Gianthold is a good example of having to switch off weapons alot... I fight with my basic weapons mostly, but can hit 3 and know I have my giant killing weapons equipped.

#6 - Trip, #7 - Stun, #8 - Power Attack, #9 - Action Haste Boost , #0 - Intimidate

The bar below that are more weapon sets and other things that I use often.

Side bar holds more weapon sets, my Stalwart Defender

The bottom holds mostly heals and gear changes

So in summary and a quick recap...

Prioritize your spells and abilities...
Those that you will use all the time, and these will change as you level, go in your primary bar.
Those that you will use often, go in the second bar. Is always nice to have these together so you can hit ctrl = and swap them out quickly.
Those that you will use on occasion should go along the side
Those things that are necessary but not necessarily used often should be placed in a bar or two of their own.

You can place and set your bars where you like, this is just how I tend to do it... the biggest thing is getting your hotkeys down to where you do not even have to think about it, can mean the difference between life and death.

If a healer has to think about who is F2, F3, F4... and then think about what size heal to throw, then think about where that heal is... chances are the person is already dead.
Same goes for a fighter, if you are not using the right weapon set and have to search it out makes things difficult... and if you have to think of where your intimidate is while the critter is beating on the healer, chances are your both dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anto_capone
Royal

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:33 pm

heh, or just use a controller like me, and only have 1 hotbar on the screen at one time...

can see mine here, sorc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YxxeO24zU

monk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9uqYG5NBYM

hehe

Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 pm

I think everyone evolves their own way of setting up hotbars. In general, I have 3-4 on the bottom and another 3-4 on the right side of the screen (depending on the toon). And usually my spells (or clickies on a melee) will be on the bottom bars along with some basic "emergency" pots (lesser restore, remove curse). My weapon sets and other equipment I swap out regularly usually goes in the right side bars.

I don't know if it is my graphics (I have a pretty nice computer now so I doubt it) or the UI but I have a horrible time telling which bar is selected. I never use control and hotkeys to switch bars/cast spells. I just click on whatever it is (spell, pot, equipment) that I need. Same with searching for player; I just click on them in the party UI. So when I'm healing it's click on the person's name, click on the spell.

One thing I will suggest for everyone though is to always keep one open spot on your hotbars. Sometimes you pick something up in a quest that you will need to use in that specific quest and you need a place on your hotbar you can use it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blainwolfe
Commoner

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm with you jill, I'm a clicker. I can't use hotkeys for the life of me, I usually have 9 bars up on my healer across the entire bottom of the screen... I haven't seen my toon's feet in years Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beth
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm a clicker too Very Happy

Trying to lessen the visible hotbars a bit though on one toon by putting all the buffs that are done once at the start and not refreshed for 10 mins or so behind my active hotbar so I cycle back and forth to reach them. Out of necessity really as I play on a small lap top!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArcaneJill
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am

Toons have feet??

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 am

Lots of them, well fighters have about 49 feets and Paladins only have about 5 Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellz
Knight

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm

I click too, and i have to say the funniest part of it all is that my two clerics have completely different hotbar set ups...not sure how it happened or why, but they do.

On them I usually have heals and buffs side by side then my offensive spells (tho dp is on my active bar so I just have to hit a number) I have one bar with all spell components on the side, just so I can tell when I may be getting low, and another with bits and bobs, like clickies, cookies, and things I may need sometime.

And I think not seeing feet is just one of the bonuses of being a cleric... their shoes are kinda ugly Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
refutor
Commoner

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Bellz wrote:

I have one bar with all spell components on the side, just so I can tell when I may be getting low

that's a really good idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for new peoples   

Back to top Go down

Tips for new peoples
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2